PDA

View Full Version : Klien's butterfly for Aptasia control

rondiaw
02/10/2008, 04:30 PM
I was reading an article about the Kliens butterfly is an excellent species for aptasia control. Does anyone have any experience with this species or know anyone who has. I have tried the long-nose buterfly as well as a few Berghia's to no avail. I finally removed all of my rock and removed the aptasia by hand and is now starting over. Afer about month I'm starting to see a small amountof aptasia again. Im presently using Joe's Juice but like before I'm afraid it may get out of control again.

Gisho
02/10/2008, 05:02 PM
I have one. Acquired it from a local reefer about three weeks ago.

After trying all other known methods from erradicating aptasia, ie. kalk injection, joe's juice, berghia nudi's, peppermint shrimp, etc, this is the only sure-fire method IME.

The Kleins butterfly has absolutely dessimated my aiptasia in my 270 gallon tank in about two weeks.

From what others have told me, including the reefer who I acquired the Kleins from, they will start picking on LPS, zoo's, etc, after finishing off the aptasia, but I have yet to witness that myself. If/once that does occur, I will pass it on to a local reefer.

HTH.

rondiaw
02/11/2008, 08:37 PM
Thanks Giso. I am now searching my local stores for one. So fa it seems that I may have to order oone fron one of the online sources.