PDA

View Full Version : fish dissapearing..

acpoweradapter
02/10/2008, 06:26 PM
Well, over the past two months I have had 3 fish just disappear from my Biocube 12G. First a six-line went missing. So I assumed he jumped out and the cat got him or something. The a few weeks later my Orange Spotted Goby went missing. So I took out all the rock and cleaned it and checked from anything. Then I took out all the sand and changed it to make sure nothing was hiding in it. Then a few weeks after that a clownfish went missing. What is happening? All the parameters are normal. I only have one clownfish left. There are some corals and snails in the tank but that is it. I checked the back and I checked the floor and never have seen anything. All of the parameters are normal also. What could it be..

brians4671
02/10/2008, 06:31 PM
a crab may have stowed away through your live rock

brians4671
02/10/2008, 06:46 PM
they can burrow in fiji deep within the pores. just a guess.

Deb91
02/10/2008, 06:56 PM
I hope it's not a mantis! Are you hearing any clicking noises? I don't think a crab could kill 3 fish never mind eating the bodies..But you say you have snails in there and the mantis shrimp probably would have got them too.Those shrimp are brutal.They can hide deep in a rock or sand bed which you stated you replaced.Watch this mantis in action. Are you sure they are not jumping out somewhere?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu6yrC6bjNo

acpoweradapter
02/10/2008, 08:10 PM
I have not ever heard any clicking noises coming from the tank. If it was a mantis, how would I get rid or it or find it..

acpoweradapter
02/10/2008, 08:13 PM
Could it really eat an entire fish before I would be there? Im never away from the tank for more than 12 hours or so.

ahullsb
02/10/2008, 08:22 PM
Is your tank top completely open? I think jumping is a possibility, and your cat could make quick work of them. It could be a hitch hiker as well. If you don't have any sort of covering over the tank, try something like this.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1310096

acpoweradapter
02/10/2008, 08:45 PM
I have the original top that comes with the Biocube. I thought that at first, but I don't think they would get the lid open and I don't think all three fish would get out bu jumping in the same spot.