PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my tank?

tobuff
02/11/2008, 06:02 AM
i have been setting up my tank for about 3 months now. when the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite is 0. i put the fishes in:
1 percular
1 yellow tang
3 purple firefish
1 skooter

The display tank is about 90g. The dimension is 40"x25"x25". The lighting is composed of 2 pure actinic and 1 250W MH. I also have Tunze 6100 wavemaker for the current in the tank. Chiller is also set up to keep temperature at 82F all the time. Skimmer is washed every couples of days.

after a while, i also bought the Xenia and star polyp. But, in just one night, Xenia's dead and star polyp is getting worse and worse. the fishes are fine and healthy, but the corals are not good at all.

I don't know what is wrong with the tank or water in it. my friends say it might be of copper present in the tank. But, i could not remember or figure how the hell copper happen to be in the tank. What is in my tank that cause the corals to die?. Or what is absent of my tank that cause it to die?

dhesq
02/11/2008, 06:05 AM
Have you tested for copper? That crap is amazing in how it leaches into everything....

I'd check that and turn the heat down to 78-80degrees.

tobuff
02/11/2008, 07:46 AM
Yup. I'm going to buy that testing kit soon. Hell, so many problems.!!!!
Anyone else have any opinions, just post them. Thanks a lot.

The_Browns
02/11/2008, 07:48 AM
82 degrees whoa, lets have a fish bake :). I keep my tank at 78 degrees always +- 1 degree.

tobuff
02/11/2008, 07:50 AM
Actually, it is 24-25celsius. I juat assume that it is 82F. So, may be it is 80F. Sorry about that

xraydoc
02/11/2008, 08:43 AM
25C would be 77F (F = (C x 1.8) + 32)

Chef Reef
02/11/2008, 09:36 AM
theres nothing wrong with his temp. i run mine at 80-83 with the same corals + more.

snulma1
02/11/2008, 11:26 AM
how did you acclimate your new additions?

tobuff
02/11/2008, 12:53 PM
Well. For xenia, I put it very near to the water surface, so that it will be able to get the flow of the water nicely. I also put it where the light reach easily, so it will be able to get enough light. Same for the star polyps.

HoopsGuru
02/11/2008, 01:53 PM
I suggest two problems here. As mentioned, it was asked what you did to acclimate the corals. What this means, is did you do anything to match the water the corals came in from the fish store to that of your aquarium? What many people do is float the bags at home for temperature matching and then drip or move cups of water into the bags to slowly match other parameters (salinity, PH, etc.). If the water from the store was quite different from your tank water, this could have stressed the corals quite a bit.

The other I see is that you immediately placed the corals up high, likely right under the metal halide bulb. Likely, this is an issue of acclimating the corals to the lighting too. Many people will add new corals to the bottom of the tank and slowly raise them over weeks to allow them to get accustomed to the intensity of their new lighting.

Stress from either or both likely have the corals in a very stressed/dying state. Could you post pictures of them?

wrott
02/11/2008, 02:11 PM
Agreed w/ previous post.
Either light shock and/or salinity issues. How do you test your SG?

porthios
02/11/2008, 02:45 PM
read this (http://forum.marinedepot.com/Topic23945-9-1.aspx)..

wrott
02/11/2008, 03:05 PM
That's why you should do WCs, run carbon--and that statement said that it would be beneficial to add corals earlier.

tobuff, where did you get your live rock? Could it have been in a fish only tank, that may have been dosed?

tobuff
02/12/2008, 04:58 AM
I test my SG with the refractometer. It is all right all the time. The water in my tank is also the same as the water in the shop. The Xenia has been growing really well in the shop. So, at first, i predict that it should not be because of the water conditions, cos the source of water are from the same place. The difference might be the lighting. I'll try to post the picture as soon as possible.

Also, the corals i get it is from my friends. He went to buy in singapore. And, when he came back to thailand, he immediately put them in tank. But, the corals seems fine, like as if there is no light shock or salinity issues or any other related stuff.