PDA

View Full Version : New temp probe

SDguy
02/11/2008, 11:58 AM
Just received my new temp probe for my ACJr. Wow, it's HUGE compared to my old one. Why the change?

clp
02/11/2008, 12:02 PM
We are now encapsulating the temperature probe in epoxy because some customers were damaging the original temperature probe which resulted in premature failures.

Curt

SDguy
02/11/2008, 01:57 PM
Cool, so this time around it actually will survive the pump impeller...

I kid, I kid :D

OK, thanks for the info.

dtaylor123
02/13/2008, 08:51 AM
I am a customer and I didn't damage my so far two probes that have failed. Unless of course the probes were not made to be put in salt water, if that is the issue, then yes I did damage my probes.

twinreef
02/13/2008, 10:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11836868#post11836868 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dtaylor123
I am a customer and I didn't damage my so far two probes that have failed. Unless of course the probes were not made to be put in salt water, if that is the issue, then yes I did damage my probes.

I went through the same thing, two temp probes in less then three months. That is the excuse that Neptune uses to blame its customers and not take responsibility for a cheap product they bought or produced. Then they wait for their blind customers to defend them.

IRISSERVICE
02/13/2008, 11:12 AM
any pics of new one

skimmerdude
02/13/2008, 09:32 PM
Neptune is top notch in their customer support so far as I have seen . . . thank you Curt and everyone else involved.

I had a temp probe failure, and I must say I was extremely careful with my temp probe, as I knew of the issues then I installed it. There was no way that I damaged it by the way I was using it. It sat in salt water in the rear of a biocube 29, and it was not touching or near any vibrating pumps.

Sometimes a bad batch of product comes out, what are you going to do, either as a customer or a company, but do the best you can. It seems that Neptune is doing just that, 99% of their customers, myself included are super happy.

Not only did they replace the old temp probes, the upgraded them and made them more durable. Great work.

I still must say that I did not damage the probe by the way I was using it. It was free floating, not kinked, no tension on the probe in any way. If Neptune feels the we were damaging the probes, through our actions or the way we used the probes, I hope they will tell us how to avoid this in the future.

Perhaps it was a bad choice of words to day we were "damaging the probes" versus the probes were damaged during routine use through no fault of the users.

John

SDguy
02/14/2008, 10:57 AM
Well, I certainly didn't damage my probe in any way (the above was a joke :) )...it just sat there, between a couple baffles, in the sump. It's been over a year though. How long are they supposed to last? Were the small original ones not made for constant salt water use?

PS - I would happily mail in my old probe if it would help Neptune figure out the problem with them. I know I'm past warranty, so don't expect any credit for it, but if it'll help....

SDguy
02/17/2008, 11:20 AM
I guess that's a no?

SDguy
07/21/2008, 04:56 PM
Well, I'm pretty unhappy to report that my temperature probe is reading 117 today :mad: The temp continues to fluctuate between 92 and 121 or so. I am fortunate to have no equipment based on temperature on my tank, except emegency shutoff of MH lights if too hot. The lights being off when I came home were the reason I noticed the problem. If I had heaters and/or chillers contolled by temperatue, I would be EXTREMELY unhappy...

According to this thread, it's only been a little over 5 months. The probe was installed, and sits in the internal overflow in the tank. It has not been TOUCHED since installation. Comments and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kenargo
07/21/2008, 06:25 PM
Be sure that your program includes protective measures against probe failures (see the 'best Practices' thread for examples). If programmed correctly the AC unit can be 'detect' a temp probe failure and take some preventative actions (like not allowing the tank to be boiled or frozen). Your heater is also part of the preventative solution; it should be set only slightly higher than the setting in the AC.

SDguy
07/21/2008, 06:28 PM
Thanks Ken. Like I said, the temp has no critical function on my setup. I would just like to know what the problem is with the probe?

kenargo
07/21/2008, 07:10 PM
I can't speak for Neptune but taking bits and pieces from talking to Curt I get the impression that the vendor who supplies the component is having a higher percentage of failures than they are letting on, leaving Neptune in a rather uninformed position.

Knowing Neptune and Curt for as long as I have I don't for a moment think that this is Neptune's issue (directly) and more so a vendor/supplier not delivering the quality they should.

SDguy
07/22/2008, 07:38 AM
I'm not blaming anyone for anything here. I would just like to know what Neptune would like me to do?

kenargo
07/22/2008, 10:02 AM
You should contact Neptune directly, while Curt comes to the forum from time to time support questions should go to Neptune directly. They can be reached at: (408) 578-3022 or support@NeptuneSys.com

SDguy
07/22/2008, 02:05 PM
I was unaware that this is an infrequently visited forum.

Thanks.

kenargo
07/22/2008, 02:32 PM
The forum is for users to exchange information and ask questions, support still goes directly to Neptune.