PDA

View Full Version : Any Reviews on Odyssea MH (Electronic Version)

xxxbadfishxxx
02/11/2008, 12:12 PM
how are the new Odyssea Metal Halide System (Electronic Version)? I know back in the day they had some problems, i wonder how they hold up now. Price is really good.

xxxbadfishxxx
02/11/2008, 06:51 PM
ttt

k9gunner
02/11/2008, 08:04 PM
Can you post a link to the light so we can see which one it is?

xxxbadfishxxx
02/11/2008, 08:24 PM
sorry about that. Link below.

http://www.aquatraders.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=333

k9gunner
02/11/2008, 09:19 PM
Funny you should ask that, I posted a thread on that exact light. I am trying to decide if I want to get it. There is a review on it alrady, I will find that thread.

There is also a 20 some page thread on that light as well, with mixed reviews......

I will get all the links and post. It is good reading.

jubjub
02/11/2008, 09:24 PM
there is like a 90page thread about these lights can someone post a link to it? i cant use the search....

but the general consensus i get with this brand is alot of yuppies think they are junk because they are cheap. which in realistic terms i been very happy with these lights. as well as many other people have been

i like to compare a Pontiac vs a rolls royce... if you need basic transportation that works that pontiac is going to get you there just as well as the rolls royce, but people would rather have the mercedes cause its expensive and feeds their ego's

buddah001
02/11/2008, 09:31 PM
I just got my 630 watt today. I got it from homby on e-bay. I have a 65gal that originally had a 192watt cfl. Now went with the 630 wat 2-65watt cfl actinics and 2-250watt metal halides. This light is awesome compared to what I had. But it has only been on the tank for 3hrs. Halides are kind of yellowish but a big improvement to what I had. In the future i will change the bulbs out. When I got it from UPS I took it apart right away and checked all of the connections. Everything looked good. Check out Hombby on e-bay. He always responded to my e-mails very quickly and shipped the thing the very next day. Worth checking out. My .02!

smoothdog
02/11/2008, 09:36 PM
There is a monster thread about this fixture here:

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1037172&perpage=25&pagenumber=1

be warned, there are a lot of splits on this thread because it's so huge.

The general consensus is that it's a well built fixture that suffers from under powered MH ballasts and cheap bulbs. If you don't mind a small diy upgrade to the external ballasts and the MH bulbs you can come away with a pretty sweet fixture for a few hundred bucks less than something equivalent out of the box. I've got one myself and after upgrading to lumatek ballasts and new bulbs have got about $650 invested.

The Odyssea fixture uses the same housing as the corallife fixture found here:
http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~idProduct~ES53526.html
but has 4 65w cf lamps and 6 moonlights.

In the end I got about 40W more actinic supplementation and 2 more LEDs for about 400 fewer $$$!

k9gunner
02/11/2008, 09:43 PM
Well that makes me feel better. I am going to go ahead and order this light tonight. I will let you know when I get it. I dont need fancy, I just need something to support my BTA and coral.

Thanks for the short version guys!

k9gunner
02/22/2008, 12:23 PM
Well I got the light today. Well worth the $359. I also did not notice, but I got free shipping, so it was $359 total. Well worth the money I think.