PDA

View Full Version : Coaxing my Starry Blenny to eat?

MrSquid
02/11/2008, 11:05 PM
I got a starry blenny from Live Aquaria last Friday. On Saturday he was grabbing at shredded up bits of nori that I was squirting by his hiding spot in the QT. Yesterday he wouldn't eat.

Today my QT tank was cloudy - some ammonia and a lot of nitrite - so I played it safe and moved him to the DT and into a much healthier environment compared to what the QT was. (still gotta figure out what's up there - uneaten nori was taken out of the QT after he passed on it)

My DT has a nice growth of macroalgae - as well as some micro. You think he'll start munching on his own? Will I need to shoot some more nori by him? I just let him be tonight while he adjusts - he showed no interest in food when I fed the rest of the tank. I'll keep an eye on him and give it a shot tomorrow. He's already been out exploring a fair amount, so no doubt he's seen the salad bar that awaits him.

He's my first herbivore since I had my old 55 set up many many years ago and my wife has completely fallen in love with the cute little guy.

Suggestions on how to coax him to eat?

Michelle L
02/12/2008, 12:50 PM
My starry is fat and happy, and I rarely see him eat anything but the microalgae that grows on the glass. I came home one day and noticed what looked like little "kiss-marks" on the glass where he had been scraping it off and eating it. He used to swim out and eat nori, but now that I have several large and agressive tangs, he doesn't care to compete with them for the nori. He's been in my system for almost two years.

I wouldn't worry much about yours...you can try some mysis or prepared foods but I wouldn't be too alarmed if you don't see him eat (unless he starts to drop weight, of course.)

MrSquid
02/12/2008, 04:42 PM
I picked up a spirulina/krill frozen mix today. Put some in an big plastic syringe and held it near him - he mouthed towards the food as it was coming out but he wasn't going to IT.

So I moved the tip closer to him and he did the same thing. In the end he was literally eating RIGHT from the tip as the food came out. :D He was spitting out the krill but eating the spirulina.

MrSquid
02/12/2008, 06:43 PM
Great news - my blenny has started MOWING down all the micro in the tank. It was like a light went on in his head ... "Holy crap - I CAN EAT ALL OF THIS!" He doesn't stop - it's cute to watch. Filamentous, algae on the rocks, on the glass - if it's green, he's trying to eat it.

I swear this fish is part dog. ;)