PDA

View Full Version : Bored at work, maybe you guys can help..

X_not_again_x
02/12/2008, 01:26 PM
Well I just got a new job, sold my old tank, and now in about three months I'm wanting to start a large project. So I'm starting to plan now for all the things I need to buy! :) I'm making wayyyy more money than I was before so I'm wanting to go a little larger than what I had before.

I want to go with a RR 90 Gallon, preferably with a corner overflow with durso standpipes for noise control. All black, with a black stand and canopy.

Lighting: I'm pretty new to metal halides seeing I've only used it once, but I'm hoping to go with 2 250W 13k halides, and 2 PC actinics. I want to have a fan on each end of the canopy for cooling, do you think this will be sufficient? I'll have to look into ballasts because I have no clue what any of that is. The only halides I've ever used was a coralife tank mounted.

Circulation: I want to have at least 20X over, by koralia, or tunzes.

Sump: it will be a four chamber sump, I've already started making it, the first chamber is where the water will drain from tank, with a rock rubble chamber, then through the second chamber, pours into the fuge which contains a DSB and chaeto, that pours into the skimmer chamber then out to an external pump back to the tank.

Skimmer: coralife 125 in sump or hang out, mine will be in sump obviously.

LR: I want to do 60lbs of Live rock, and 90 lbs of base rock.

LS: I want to have a 3 inch deep sand bed, all live.

Well thats all i can think of for the tank so far, if you guys have any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciated. :)

live stock schedule:

month 1: Nothing but live rock and sand

month 2: Cleaner crew consisting of:
30 Blue leg hermits
15 nassarius snails
15 turbo snails
5 emerald crabs
2 cleaner shrimp

month three:
3 chromis
pair of clowns (undecided species)
1 bi color blenny

month four:
1 kleins butterfly
1 sixline wrasse
1 blue spotted jawfish

month five and beyond:

RBTA
var zooanthids
var shrooms
large toadstool
frogspawn
closed or open brains
lords
pulsing sinularia (sp)
crocea clam X 2
maybe a linkia starfish
some kind of tang
flame angelfish
fire shrimp

Thats about it!!! so let me know what you guys think! :) any suggestions or criticisms are wanted!!!!

reefing102
02/12/2008, 01:33 PM
you may want to watch the angelfish as he may pick on the coral. Also since i don't know off hand is the Kleins Butterfly reef safe? Blue spots can be difficult to care for along with the linkia star

useskaforevil
02/12/2008, 01:47 PM
live sand is a waste. get regular sand (playsand or the expensive petstore kinds) and a few bags of live sand or just seed from an existign tank. by the time your rock is cured it'll all be live

MR PALM BEACH
02/12/2008, 01:57 PM
I would most likely up the skimmer IMO, I run CSS 220 and it does the job but personally If I feel It doesnt produce enough. Other than that I think all looks good with your list. Good Luck.

wrott
02/12/2008, 02:08 PM
I would put the skimmer in first chamber, allowing more pods to go to tank.

Savas
02/12/2008, 02:37 PM
So my big question is how can you be bored in the new job?

WinnipegDragon
02/12/2008, 02:41 PM
I'd consider a better skimmer than the Coralife. That was in my initial plans too, and I was warned off of them repeatedly.

edit: Yeah, what Mr Palm Beach said :)

X_not_again_x
02/12/2008, 03:08 PM
any suggestions on skimmers then? price isnt THAT big of a deal, but i've never had any luck with skimmers so i'd like to keep the price some what cheap

xraydoc
02/12/2008, 03:35 PM
I also agree on upgrading the skimmer. I would personally recommend the Euro-Reef RS-135, which is what I use on my 90. There are many other good brands out there though, and if you'd like to spend a little less and still get a high quality skimmer you could consider reef octopus. They have quite a following, although I have never used one.

tcgreaux
02/12/2008, 03:53 PM
just get an octopus nw-150 from marine solutions with the gate valve mod it cant be beat for the money.