PDA

View Full Version : Meeting Saturday feb 23rd?

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 01:34 PM
It has been mentioned that perhaps we could get together on the 23rd at scottdwh place in Schererville pending his wife's approval. Why dont we make this an offical signup thread to talk about who could make it so that Scott gets a handle on what he is getting himself into. The topic of conversation at such a meeting would be what we would be looking for as far as a reefing club goes. The possible formation of a governing council, dues, seperate website, meeting practices and such. I would be in.

pescadero
02/12/2008, 02:47 PM
Sounds like a good idea. I will have to miss this one, as I have to be at the IKC dog show in Chicago this weekend.

pescadero
02/12/2008, 02:55 PM
Governing council? Wow you are thinking pretty hard about formal organization aren't you? I was thinking more along the lines of meeting people and having a beer.

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 02:57 PM
Add to the agenda smacking pescadero upside the head. I was simply adding to the agenda those things which others had said we should talk about.

JNye
02/12/2008, 03:25 PM
i might make it, but as long as we're talking...i really don't have a problem with dues but a website?, we'll have enough trouble getting traffic through here and this place has hundreds of thousands of members/hits. i like the crawl before we walk idea.
and 10% off at a LFS prolly won't be as cheap as organizing group buys from online vendors.
joe.

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 03:28 PM
I agree, but we should discuss everybodys wants and needs. Maybe we will end up with two different reefing clubs out of this. Who knows. Group buys sound like a great idea to me.

beester15
02/12/2008, 03:35 PM
you could buy me some fish mike. Like a puffer or something.

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 03:36 PM
I'll buy you a fresh water puffer from petco if you want Mike, but you will have to drive down here to get it.

beester15
02/12/2008, 03:37 PM
LOL...nah, I want a linneatus puffer. you should be able to get em fairly cheap with a group buy depending on where you purchase from.

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 03:38 PM
quit spamming our forum northsider! LOL

beester15
02/12/2008, 03:40 PM
you sox fan.

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 03:40 PM
TAKE THAT BACK!

beester15
02/12/2008, 03:41 PM
haha...you are the "south sider"...Ok, I am done spamming. I will stop around here a bit more often.

pescadero
02/12/2008, 04:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11830439#post11830439 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by bigevill
Add to the agenda smacking pescadero upside the head. I was simply adding to the agenda those things which others had said we should talk about.
smack me upside the head? that doesn't sound good to me. but it does help me to make a point:

government is a vehicle for the exercise of control and power. more government and more controls are good if you are the government. more government and more controls are bad if you are not the government. i want less government in my life, not more government. as complicated as reefkeeping may be, i didn't take up reefkeeping to further complicate my life.

as soon as people start talking about implementing some form of government, it shows that there are people who already have contemplated obtaining power and using the force that it provides them to exercise some modicum of control over other people. if that's not a "smack upside the head" i don't know what is.

i agree with Joe's idea about walking before you run. so far nobody has established any real need for money or any clear purpose for using money once its collected. until we have established a clear need for money, i think that we're putting the cart in front of the horse in even talking about collecting it. what's the need for creating a treasury and appointing somebody to hold the money? i think that in the absence of clearly defined objectives and expenses, theres no need for money, and there's no need to empower someone to be the controller of group funds.

i mentioned in one of the other threads that web hosting can be had for free. there goes one of the expenses. we've also already got people who are interested in the club who are professional web designers. if you can get them to volunteer to design a web site, there goes another expense. we've already established that a free forum can be obtained from RC. there goes yet another potential expense. so where is the need for money? mailing expenses? they don't exist in the age of e-mail. if people volunteer to help the club, then the club doesn't have any expenses. as a cooperative venture, there's no need for a club to collect money and there's no need to appoint a treasurer to watch over it. there's actually not any real need for formal government and taxation, unless you just enjoy implementing a government that exists solely to serve itself. IMO we've already got enough of those.

i prefer the idea a cooperative venture among similarly minded hobbyists. to that end, less formal organization is better and money isn't even needed.

come on, anarchy isn't that bad of an idea! :p

irky
02/12/2008, 04:24 PM
I agree with the just lets all meet for the first time and go from there. I am not oppossed to dues and what not but I like the idea of having a beer and seeing if we can even get people to show up to this thing... A club is fun but I do not see the need for all these things... I think a group buy is a great idea but why do we need money for that? Where would you really want a local discount besides Highland and he HATES the internet clubs so good luck with that... SO anyways I will come to Scotts for yes the beer and company b/c that sounds like fun which is what I am looking for!!!

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 04:26 PM
My point was just that I am not for such structure either. I was only presenting those topics for disscussion becuase others had said they wanted to talk about it. You take me more seriously then I do.

crewf16chief
02/12/2008, 04:32 PM
I'm out I've already taken care of everything. Hey pecsocdera the reason why you have a seperate website is so you dont have a 1000 people intrupting you when they live in california

pescadero
02/12/2008, 04:40 PM
well, i'm glad i'm not gonna get whacked upside the head. :)

on the subject of group buys, i'm about to place an order with DFS. if anyone needs anything like a tub of salt or whatever, you could piggyback on my order and pay a pro-rata share of the shipping cost. the 160g IO mix is about 29.50 and reef crystals are like 32.00. pickup would be in hobart.

JRaquatics
02/12/2008, 04:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11831235#post11831235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seaoflife
I'm out I've already taken care of everything. Hey pecsocdera the reason why you have a seperate website is so you dont have a 1000 people intrupting you when they live in california :rolleyes:

pescadero
02/12/2008, 04:49 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11831235#post11831235 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by seaoflife
I'm out I've already taken care of everything. Hey pecsocdera the reason why you have a seperate website is so you dont have a 1000 people intrupting you when they live in california
sigh.

AquaGrizzly
02/12/2008, 05:15 PM
Hmmm. I'll be at Scott's. What time Scotty? I have my High School reunion that night. As far as having the club forum here, I think it is a good idea. Let's say we are on here and we have a problem and no one can help from the local area we have the option of others chiming in to help.

AquaGrizzly
02/12/2008, 05:23 PM
There is going to be beer right? J/K I think just a starter meeting to get ideas is great and we can get smashed. As far as everything else goes I am open minded to anything. As long as they can present it with an open mind to others ideas as well. I'm just tired of all this money talk. $10 is not that much but Iwould like to see a layout of everything. There is another club I am a part of that has a club section and a members only section that the only people that can get in there are the ones with the password...the mods too. But if you want to keep it from the general population you can.

Fuppets
02/12/2008, 07:16 PM
Evil, I think you are confusing what Patboone and Seaoflife said in the very begining of this. They are starting a local club and invited us to come and check out what they have planned and see what we think. They didn't say hey someone should start a local club.

As far as dues go. Lets go to the meeting and see what they have planned and see what they have to say. I don't have a problem throwing in $10 as long as the intent is good. I've been in a few clubs it is a lot harder that it looks.

As far as a government goes there should be some level of government if we are going to organize a club. There isn't any organization without someone to lead. Which Evil is doing such a good job of right now I would nominate him for president of any club that I am a member.

I see seaoflife's point of wanting to have the first meeting at the library away from any distractions so we can get some good ideas down. That being said I start work that morning at 640am and could be there 12 or more hours. Unless it's a late meeting I might not be able to make it. On the other hand I could be off as early as 2pm. I'll make it if I can where ever this get together is.

Shawn

Patterson117
02/12/2008, 08:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11831179#post11831179 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by irky
I agree with the just lets all meet for the first time and go from there. I am not oppossed to dues and what not but I like the idea of having a beer and seeing if we can even get people to show up to this thing... A club is fun but I do not see the need for all these things... I think a group buy is a great idea but why do we need money for that? Where would you really want a local discount besides Highland and he HATES the internet clubs so good luck with that... SO anyways I will come to Scotts for yes the beer and company b/c that sounds like fun which is what I am looking for!!!

Was at Kurt's(Exotic Aquatics) tonight, doing some computer work, mentioned this whole thing to him, and he said he would be for giving some sort of discount to a club. His exact words were "I would have no problem giving a discount to a local club."

No luck involved, just a good rep with him and asked.

Hope this helps.

Mike

bigevill1
02/12/2008, 08:28 PM
If seaoflife and patboone7 arrange a meeting at the library on a night I can go I will be there. I see the need for structured meetings too, I just think seaoflife comes off as sounding too fanatical about his approach to this whole thing. Maybe once we meet we will be best buds.

Otto2
02/12/2008, 09:41 PM
Sat. the 23rd is a go. As far as time goes, I was thinking of having it starting anywhere between 11 - 3 p.m. The old lady will get home around 6 so hopefully we can have it wrapped up by then, but if not its no big deal. I never been to one of these before so dont know what I need to do besides supply drinks and food. We should probably have some sort of list made up of people coming. Any questions on anything my cell # is 219-730-0678
Thanks,
Scott

Otto2
02/12/2008, 09:43 PM
By the way Scott, my bro is going to a reunion that night as well. Did you graduate from LC in 1997?

crewf16chief
02/12/2008, 10:12 PM
I promise you we will be best buds big evil

doubled50
02/12/2008, 10:21 PM
I agree Evill, seaoflife is fanatical, but that's because he's passionate about this. His club in Columbia, SC was an awesome club. When I visited back in 2005 while he was still stationed there, they had a frag party/meeting at one of the local fish stores and this was really my first exposure to something like this. I was still into FW at the time and knew little about salt. I thought, real dorky, nobody will come, hell I couldn't have been more wrong. Tons of people showed up, great sales that day, like 50% off and more, different hours had different sales, raffles, food and "Drags" LOL. Bottom line, the club seemed real cool, nobody was in it for money, but there were some great benefits in being a member of a structured club. Anyway, I think it will be great, come by, see what Chris has to say, if you like it cool, we'll move forward, if not, some guys on here want to be just dudes hanging out drinking lookin at tanks, fine, come by our forums, stop by a meeting and maybe later you'll want to join. No hard feelings had here, I can speak for both of us. I am a member of the Midwest Sundowners RC club and my yearly dues are $40 with an initation of $40. I didn't hesitate. It's not about the money, I wish it never came to that, I never thought so much distrust and skepticism would come from $10, but anyway, we can all look back and lol now!

Anyway, I hope you all make it out, we are good guys, not looking to rip anyone off, we are starting a club, if you guys still wanna do your marine society, I support you, but we are the NWI MAC (Northwest Indiana Marine Aquarium Club) serving NW indiana. I spoke my peace and will let Chris(seoflife) handle the rest. I look forward to networking with you guys.

Respectfully,
Doug(patboone7)

crewf16chief
02/12/2008, 10:34 PM
For those who might be interested. We are going to try for next thursday the 21st at 7 at the lake county library. I have to get the details from the library but that is the day I would like to get together. There is no need to bring anything that night. If you like what you hear and you want to join that night that will be possible but there is no need. I looking for the website to ready by last week of FEB to the beginning of march. My brother lives in MI and it is sometimes hard to get a hold of him to get all the details correct. FEB 21 @7@ lake county library

bigevill1
02/13/2008, 08:39 AM
Scott, I can make it any time. Just let me know.

BreadmanMike
02/13/2008, 11:27 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11833044#post11833044 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patterson117
Was at Kurt's(Exotic Aquatics) tonight, doing some computer work, mentioned this whole thing to him, and he said he would be for giving some sort of discount to a club. His exact words were "I would have no problem giving a discount to a local club."

No luck involved, just a good rep with him and asked.

Hope this helps.

Mike

I miss going to Kurt's on Saturdays. :(
I used to live there and watch the store on occasion. Maybe he can host a meeing someday on a Tuesday when he's closed.

Patterson117
02/13/2008, 11:29 AM
Maybe... we will have to figure some things out first though.

bigevill1
02/13/2008, 12:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11838090#post11838090 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquaticman74
I miss going to Kurt's on Saturdays. :(
I used to live there and watch the store on occasion. Maybe he can host a meeing someday on a Tuesday when he's closed.

Why dont you hang out there anymore goofball? There was a time when I couldnt go in there without seeing you. Now I think it has been over a year.

BreadmanMike
02/13/2008, 12:33 PM
My wife is working on my off days and dragging two babies out is too much right now. Someday I'll be able to hang there like I used to.

AquaGrizzly
02/13/2008, 01:24 PM
yEA sCOTT i GRAD. lc 97. wHO'S YOUR BRO?

bigevill1
02/13/2008, 01:29 PM
somebody had thier caps lock on

AquaGrizzly
02/13/2008, 01:35 PM
Oops wasn't paying attention. Son must have hit it when playing with the keyboard.