PDA

View Full Version : Phosphate reactor

SteveNMegz
02/12/2008, 03:23 PM
Hey guys,

So our tanks been up and running for 11 weeks now, we've had a bit of an algae problem, we ended up taking out the LR scrubbing all the hair algae off, and now 3 days later its starting to come back. We're hoping this is just the initail stage but were thinking of getting a cheap/used phosphate reactor to help. Is this a good idea, we figure in a month or 2 when we see the algae gone (hopefully) we can start running carbon in it. Can we do this? and is it a good idea? What are some good brands to start researching?

reefergeorge
02/12/2008, 03:30 PM
Most people use the two little fishies (tfl) reactor.
I have only used phosban so I don't know what is the best.

Aquarist007
02/12/2008, 03:32 PM
I agree with the two little fishes reactor--I use two of them:
http://i142.photobucket.com/albums/r107/reefescapetangster/IMG_4525.jpg

Aquarist007
02/12/2008, 03:35 PM
a word of caution---it is best to find out how your system is importing phosphates first before relying on phosban

In the case of your tank I think it is still young--and the rock is still curing--releasing phosphates. sometimes this can take up to six months before it is fully cured.

other key methods of importing phosphates:
not using r/0 water
feeding too much or not rinsing off frozen food
not enough flow in the tank--20 times to 40 times the tank volume per hour is a good rate in gph
not matching the flow rate to the skimmer output

to name a few

papagimp
02/12/2008, 03:38 PM
I"m with the captain on this one 100%

SteveNMegz
02/12/2008, 03:44 PM
well thats the thing, our only idea of the cause for this algae would be the rock leeching phosphates.

We use R/O water
We only feed flakes to our 2 clowns, once a day but hardly any
our flow is 40X turnover
We have a skimmer running in the sump,
and a ball of chaeto in the sump also

We were jus thinking that if we got a phosphate reactor it would perhaps help in the cycle, and after we could use it to run carbon, so it wouldn't hurt us at all in the long run.

seapug
02/12/2008, 05:16 PM
It won't hurt to use it now and later. The reactors are cheap as far as aquarium gear goes, so don't be scared by the cost. They are very easy to set up , too.

Phosphate is one of the most difficult organic compounds to control in a tank and the cause of most algae problems. I'd recommend PhosBan reactors and GFO as standard equipment for any setup nowadays.

alve
02/12/2008, 06:03 PM
I an having the same problem. I added Marco Rock to my existing tank that was cured for several weeks in a trash can in my garage.
Hair algae started growing all over it and after scrubbing it back it started growing back again.
There was no reading for phosphates because the algae were consuming it all.
I have a phosphate reactor running, a fuge with chaeto, use RO/DI water, don't overfeed... so it could only be the rock leaching phosphates since I never had hair algae before.
I changed the phosban in the reactor about 3 days ago and I start seeing a difference now. It looks like the phosban was exhausted after 3 weeks.
The new phosban, together with a couple turbo snails and about a dozen cerith snails are making it go away. The snails are doing a great job cleaning up the hair algea.
I would definitely recommend a phosphate reactor!

Aquarist007
02/12/2008, 06:14 PM
yes that is very possible--if you have alot of phosphates the material is used up quicker.
Unfortunately there is not telling when to change the phosban unless you see the algae coming back in your tank

alve
02/12/2008, 06:18 PM
I read of someone using clear vinyl tubes on the phosphate reactor. The tube for the inlet had algae growing inside, the one on the outlet was completely algae free. When algae started growing in the clear tube on the outlet you could tell that it was time to replace the phosban. I will try that once I get to the store to buy some 1/2 inch clear tubing.

seapug
02/12/2008, 06:19 PM
It took my tank about 8 weeks and one media change at about 4 weeks to see the effect, but when the PO4 dropped below the "algae threshold" it all died off and disappeared in about 2 weeks.

Aquarist007
02/12/2008, 07:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11832146#post11832146 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alve
I read of someone using clear vinyl tubes on the phosphate reactor. The tube for the inlet had algae growing inside, the one on the outlet was completely algae free. When algae started growing in the clear tube on the outlet you could tell that it was time to replace the phosban. I will try that once I get to the store to buy some 1/2 inch clear tubing.

that's a very interesting idea---keep us posted:smokin:

SteveNMegz
02/12/2008, 10:22 PM
thanks guys, I guess we'll be getting one!

SteveNMegz
02/12/2008, 10:25 PM
another quick question, where is the best place to install the reactor, hoping for install in sump, would it be best on the intake side or the return? our return side has our ball of chaeto, will this be starved?

rhinochaser
02/13/2008, 01:37 AM
Ive used a phos reactor for a year now and am very happy with it, mines in the sump, I have an extra if you need one

SteveNMegz
02/13/2008, 10:40 AM
thanks!, wheres your location rhino???

Any input as to where to place the reactor???