PDA

View Full Version : can epson salt be used to raise magnesium??

persun87
02/12/2008, 04:12 PM
Ok I am curently using the seachem magnesium but i was wondering if you can use epson salt and how much to add? epson salt is 100% magnesium any thoughts or expierence using it would be helpfull

rbursek
02/12/2008, 04:23 PM
I think it is better for maintaining, you need alot according to the caculater, and I think it will raise your SG also, so monitor that. I am going to start using it but to maintain, and bring MU water to Mg levels.
Bob

reef_doug
02/12/2008, 05:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11831081#post11831081 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by persun87
Ok I am curently using the seachem magnesium but i was wondering if you can use epson salt and how much to add? epson salt is 100% magnesium any thoughts or expierence using it would be helpfull

Are you looking to maintain or raise Mg and by how much?

Generally a mixture of Mg Chloride (Mag Flake) and Mg Sulfate (Epson salt) is what you want. Epson salt alone can cause to much residual sulfate.

Mag Flake will be the larger portion in either recipie, so you'll want to purchase some MagFlake in any case.

bertoni
02/12/2008, 06:27 PM
Epsom salt will raise both magnesium and sulfate in the system. Large doses of it can skew the ionic balance of the water quite a bit. There isn't any data on the effects of high sulfate, but I chose to buy some magnesium chloride to reduce the effect. This article might help:

http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-07/rhf/index.php

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/13/2008, 07:40 AM
FWIW, I'm not sure that Epsom salt alone is any worse than the Seachem product, but other methods are better, as mentioned above. :)

coqui1pr
02/13/2008, 11:18 AM
Hi here is what i do i use kent marine tech-m to raise the magnesium and then i use the epson salts to maintain the mg level be sure to keep up with your water changes to reduce the ammount of sulfates being added to the tank for me it has worked that way for many years with no ill effects or problems.

Rickyrooz1
02/13/2008, 11:46 AM
nertoni, where did you purchase your magnesium chloride?

bertoni
02/13/2008, 01:11 PM
I got mine from harveysalt.com, but twopartsolutions.com and buckeyefieldsupply.com both carry it now.