PDA

View Full Version : canary blenny

dadonoflaw
02/12/2008, 03:35 PM
i bought this fish before realizing that it is venemous. should i be worried for me or my fish? also it says that they are omnivores and i have seen it nip every once in a while but it wont eat nori or meaty foods. i bought him on saturday night. also this is somewhat related. i have a halichoeres wrasse which i got on the same day and it is missing a large part of the face. i was distracted so i dont know if it was done by the coral banded shrimp in the store or if it was done by the canary blenny in my tank.

dadonoflaw
02/12/2008, 08:48 PM
bump

bj32482
02/13/2008, 07:43 AM
I really doubt it was the canary.....I have had a canary for over a year. He is probably my favorite fish, always out and very docile. As for the venomous part, I hand feed mine all the time, they only use the fangs when they are swallowed by another fish. Try feeding him some mysis and brine shrimp to get him started, I had to do this for a few weeks, but now he eats any kind of flake....good luck

Amazon4
02/13/2008, 07:51 AM
Ours constantly hunted pods. Flake was last on his list of preferences. I think of them more as a meat eater.

Great fish BTW.

dadonoflaw
02/13/2008, 10:34 AM
anybody's canary eat nori?i feed mysis bu i will try my pe mysis and see if that works. i soak in garlic as well

dadonoflaw
02/13/2008, 11:07 AM
the wrasse died yesterday. i noticed that the wrasse was originally in with a sixline and a coral banded shrimp. i think the shrimp was morelikely to have injured my wrasse in the store which resulted in his death. what do you guys think

Amazon4
02/13/2008, 12:29 PM
Sorry to hear about your wrasse. I really doubt the blenny had anything to do with it. Their venomous fangs are for defense. (they bite the inside of the mouth if swallowed by a larger fish).

CBS on the other hand have been known to kill small fish, or what ever they can catch.

So if I had to pick between the two, I'd have to suspect the CBS

How big is the blenny? Just make sure the PE mysis (which is big) is small enough for it to eat.

I never offered ours nori - so I don't know if they eat it.

dadonoflaw
02/13/2008, 03:28 PM
yea the shrimp makes much more since. i have seen it nipping but i dont know what it is nipping at. so you think brine shrimp would be more appropriate? the blenny is like 3 in. the wrasse was slightly larger and added at the same time. the fairy wrasses were more aggressive to the blenny then the wrasse was to the blenny

Amazon4
02/13/2008, 04:33 PM
The problem with brine shrimp is that it's like feeding them donuts. At least get enriched brine.

Hopefully this is just to get him feeding well and transition to more nutritional mysis, etc.

JennieD
02/15/2008, 10:52 AM
I have had mine for about a year and he is my fav fish too. So brightly colored with tons of personality. I am not at all concerned about the fangs for me or the other fish. He is by far the tiniest fish in the tank, but everyone leaves him alone as he boldly swims about. He was really skinny, nearly see-through when I got him and it was tough to get him to eat, which was odd as he was tank bred from ORA. Anyway, what I was told was that they are not able to bite food, so they can only eat things that wil fit in their mouth. When I feed mysis or flakes I make sure to break it up into really small pieces and he totally pigs out. Before I figured this out he ate a lot of cyclopeze. I also feed a variety of pellets but sadly even the smallest size are still too large for him to handle at this time.