PDA

View Full Version : Reef safe butterfly fish?

iamwhatiam52
02/12/2008, 05:45 PM
I'm sure this has been covered previously, but I can't search so I'll ask.

Which Butterfly fish are the best for a reef tank? I want something colorfull that will not get too large and disruptive.

I had Copperband that did not pick on corals, but it was hyperactive and agressive especially at feeding time.

JazzZero
02/12/2008, 06:48 PM
im not fully sure but i think a copperband and a burguess are reef safe angelfish.

pIankton
02/12/2008, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't consider any Butterfly to be reef safe because they eat feather dusters and worms, etc. My copperband likes palys too, but not zoanthids (go figure).

Long noses are cool, copperbands (obviously) and I think Pyramids are "reef safe", but can't remember exactly. I think even Threadfins can be kept.

It's all just a gamble with them.

DeltecRules
02/12/2008, 09:16 PM
The deepwater butterflies are are considered reefsafe. They are known as plankton eaters. I have a Mitratus and Tinkers butterfly who hasn't touched a thing. Declivis, burgess, Tinkers, mitratus, and Banks are reef safe through my experience. But again every fish is different.

Here is my tinkers. He has been a perfect citizen

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/525/104218mini-113-1373_IMG.JPG

gman107
02/12/2008, 10:13 PM
thats a cool fish!!! how long have you had him ? what do you feed him?

triggerfish1976
02/13/2008, 05:55 AM
There is no 100% reef safe butterfly. Even the Tinkeri Complex (Tinkers, Mitratus, Burgess, etc) have been known to pick at corals especially LPS.
For the record these fish are not plankton eaters, they just are from deeper waters thus have a limited coral selection to pick at but they are pickers like most butterflies so it is only a matter of time.

jmaneyapanda
02/13/2008, 07:18 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11836165#post11836165 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by triggerfish1976
There is no 100% reef safe butterfly. Even the Tinkeri Complex (Tinkers, Mitratus, Burgess, etc) have been known to pick at corals especially LPS.
For the record these fish are not plankton eaters, they just are from deeper waters thus have a limited coral selection to pick at but they are pickers like most butterflies so it is only a matter of time.
agreed. The major planktivorous butterflies that are most known are the Hemitaurichtys genus "pyramids". But even they are hit and miss, if not fed regularly/heavily.

beez
02/13/2008, 12:22 PM
I've had good luck with 2 pyramids...never touched anything. But I agree with triggerfish....sometimes I think there are no absolutely reef safe fish period!!!!

maoiwowie
02/13/2008, 02:29 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52903GBinREEF.jpg

What is your tolerance level?

mike888705
02/13/2008, 08:29 PM
My mitratus bites and picks at anything he can get his mouth on. I don't know that any butterfly should be called "reef safe" he has eaten 1 of my clams and so I moved him to a different tank b4 he did anymore damage...

iamwhatiam52
02/13/2008, 09:23 PM
Beautiful fish Deltec!
My tolerance is pretty high maoiwowie, and though I'de love to keep one, I don't think I have enough coral in my 180 to support a Golden.

How much damage do yours do?

And yes, I know there is always a risk with butterflies. I just hate remove a fish once I have it in my tank.

Wh0wantsrice
02/13/2008, 10:40 PM
honestly no butterfly fish are really reef safe.... there r diff. types that are less like to pick but just know that u r taking a risk when buying one

Maximus
02/14/2008, 01:53 AM
What I would give for a reef safe, Red Sea Butterfly fish.

Maximus
02/14/2008, 01:55 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11839508#post11839508 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by maoiwowie
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/52903GBinREEF.jpg

What is your tolerance level?

Are those your semilarvatus? If so, how are they with sps and lps?

Big E
02/14/2008, 04:38 AM
Muelleri Copperband....hardier than the common Cbb. They come from mud flat areas in Queensland. They'll obviously eat any worms, but that's it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v637/EdFink/copperband.gif

maoiwowie
02/14/2008, 01:24 PM
That pictured reef tank is no longer running, but indeed it was my tank with a pair of Goldens. I just love these fish. I placed this pair in QT for 3 months not only for disease control, but also to get these guys accustomed to eating "unnatural" food. Feedings were always regular and timely. Soon these guys were eating mysis from my fingertips. When placed in the reef, they seem to know that when my hands were over the tank it was feeding time, along with all the other fish. As you can see from the photo they are scavenging, but to be honest, they didnt do any real damage to the LPS, SPS, or clams. Whats a few missing featherdusters compared to the beauty this pair will bring to a thriving reef tank? Besides, featherdusters themselves are smart to the fish and will colonize crevices and rocks unreachable by the fish. I couldnt say they did any more or less damage than the pygmy angels i had in the tank.

Do not try this with the obligate coral eaters in the butterfly family. I did with horrific results. When they pick at sps, unlike the semilarvatus which show no visual damage, my ornate butterfly would leave white skeleton exposed with each peck as if they literaly sucked off the tissue....and when they start pecking its like a woodpecker...Goodluck!

Big E
02/14/2008, 01:36 PM
I had 6 semis & none were reef safe..........they ate anything & everything. They're voracious eaters & one of the most hardy butterflies around.

snorvich
02/14/2008, 01:44 PM
There are NO reef safe butterfly fish. Muelleri Copperband is probably the closest I have seen with the additional advantage that some will eat aiptasia which, I guess makes them NOT reef safe. Mitratus are definitely not as they will devastate many LPS.

flameangel88
02/14/2008, 03:05 PM
I've two that ate all the corals I'd in the tank lucky I didn't have anything that was expensive. :) I wish they everything I throw in there because I can't get them to eat pellets and I've Spectrum, Kent and O.N. but they wouldn't bite and because of them I've to feed frozen day & night. But have to say their beauty is worth all the extra effort in keeping them. One last thing...they LOVE eating live clams and mussels.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11847623#post11847623 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big E
I had 6 semis & none were reef safe..........they ate anything & everything. They're voracious eaters & one of the most hardy butterflies around.

flameangel88
02/14/2008, 03:15 PM
DeltecRules: Everytime I see this picture of your Tingers mades me want one and if my heart wasn't set on a Bandit Angel I would get one right now.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11833837#post11833837 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by DeltecRules
The deepwater butterflies are are considered reefsafe. They are known as plankton eaters. I have a Mitratus and Tinkers butterfly who hasn't touched a thing. Declivis, burgess, Tinkers, mitratus, and Banks are reef safe through my experience. But again every fish is different.

Here is my tinkers. He has been a perfect citizen

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/525/104218mini-113-1373_IMG.JPG

7thheaven
02/14/2008, 06:48 PM
Hi all~

I have a Declivis in my SPS tank. I also have a green star polyp and 3 LPS. He does not touch them normally but If he gets hungry, he picks star polyp and SPS polyp sometimes.
But not often. I think it is tolerable to me :)
If he eats food properly, he is a good citizen...

DeltecRules' tinkers is very beautiful. I also have plan to put
Declivis, burgess, Tinkers, mitratus in my tank...

HTH..