PDA

View Full Version : Mg overload?

Moosetache
02/12/2008, 10:29 PM
Just wondering if it is possible to overload the Mg supplement to my tank. I would like to get it up to about 1400-1500 so I dont have another snowstorm in there (like I did about a week ago). I had had some trouble getting my Ca and Alk up, then did a water change and ended in a snowstorm, so I decided to attack my problem from the Mg angle. Let me know if you all think I am making a mistake.

demonsp
02/12/2008, 10:32 PM
Not sure what caused the snow storm. You need to test for any measure you add. In a new tank with low stock i would so no but is this a 7 yrs setup?

Moosetache
02/12/2008, 10:36 PM
No, this is a new set up.....been up a little over a month. Everything has been fine with my water params except my Ca and Alk had been low. I think I was just a little too close to the line and the water change with Reef Crystals threw it over the top on the Alk side. It settled in about 3-4 hours and havent had a problem since.....

I just wanted to get my Mg levels up before I did my next water change so I didnt have the same problem.

bertoni
02/12/2008, 10:40 PM
I would target about 1300 ppm for the magnesium, since that's more like natural parameters. At 1500 ppm, some people see toxicity in Bryopsis, which is a good thing, in most cases, but I wonder about what else might be having problems.

Dosing 50-100 ppm per day should be fine.