PDA

View Full Version : Is a SKIMMER necessary?

reef rico
02/13/2008, 01:02 AM
Hey im getting a 200 gallon reef. Is it a advantage to have a skimmer or a disadvantage to have a skimmer. Whats the function of a skimmer. Do corals feed on protien. I need alot help on this subject.

jmart55
02/13/2008, 01:12 AM
It's just my opinion and some may disagree but next to good source water and good water flow, a good protein skimmer is one of the most important things for a reef tank. A protein skimmer allows us to keep the density of livestock we want.
http://reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-06/fm/feature/index.php

The Saltman
02/13/2008, 01:43 AM
imo, very important, but I have seen some larger tanks that are skimmerless.

snulma1
02/13/2008, 08:41 AM
I think if you are going to go skimmerless, then you will need to do more frequent water changes to keep things in check.

Works well on a nano tank, but changing 20 gallons every week will be costly!

db_triggerfish
02/13/2008, 08:53 AM
i have only been skimming for less than two months, i love to see the waste that the skimmer pulls out of the tank. IMHO yes put a skimmer in your system. Also they are many good skimmers out there but do some research.

luke33
02/13/2008, 09:15 AM
You have to look at it this way, what can we do to our tank's to replicate the ocean. Ok, sand, LR takes out amm, trites, turns into trates. A fuge will help with trates as well as a skimmer. The way the ocean rids itself of the trates, organics, doc's is with waves. You know the froth that comes up on the beach with waves, that would be the ocean skimmate. Its one of the key components in the ocean filtration.......so the skimmer is trying to mimic this. Do i think there needed......definately. Unless you want to do large frequent water changes, and that will cost you more than a good skimmer in a short time.

sirreal63
02/13/2008, 09:37 AM
Kind of surprised to see someone with 2 years reef experience ask this question. The replies so far are very good and accurate. A skimmer will also help with gas exchange which is very important.

luke33
02/13/2008, 09:52 AM
Another great point ^^^Oxidation and gas exchange

reef rico
02/14/2008, 12:22 AM
I knew you need a skimmer but I was just asking to see if any one goes with out a skimmer in a successful reef. Since im only 16 my dad is paying for the tank and I want have $300 for a while to purchase a good skimmer. Could any one give me some recomendations for good skimmers which are sold in Australian websites which are good but don't cost a fortune. How about a octupus skimmer, they sell alot of those on australian sites.