PDA

View Full Version : somthing munching soft coral polips

whiteleaf
02/13/2008, 02:08 AM
hi. got up this morning and found loads of coral polyps with there arms munched off. the coral is mostly pink but the polyps with there arms off are blackened. i presume something poisoned them then ate them as they retract so fast if a hermit wonders over them. thinking it must be a nudibranc and a large one as so many polyps have bean eaten over night.
i have no corals that i have bought just a couple that hitchhiked in on live rock. only have 2 fish and a few clean up crew. was going to wait till finished stocking fish to add coral. do you think whats eaten them would die off when no polyps left? any other suggestions welcome. thank you.

GoingPostal
02/13/2008, 07:51 AM
If it's a nudi it'll die off after all the food is gone, you could try putting the coral in a container or right in front of the tank to try and catch it. What kind of fish do you have?

gh0st
02/13/2008, 09:03 AM
Could just be a bacterial outbreak, or some other stressor as well.

What are your water parameters like? Also, how much water flow do you have in the tank?

PiXieCath
02/13/2008, 09:46 AM
It can also be zoa eating spiders. Very ugly little creature...

ebin
02/13/2008, 02:22 PM
had a peppermint shrimp go after mushrooms once years ago

PiXieCath
02/13/2008, 02:29 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11839462#post11839462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ebin
had a peppermint shrimp go after mushrooms once years ago

Same thing happened to me 3 years ago...