PDA

View Full Version : Strange worm.....predator worm!

luke33
02/13/2008, 10:20 AM
I found a worm last night that i've never seen before, looks like a type of predator. Is segmented, no antenae but had huge eye's.

I need help with this. From the reefkeeping article above i found a worm on there that i saw last night for the first time ever (this tank has been up for 2yrs now) here's the article.

"Phyllodocid worms are also predatory, but unlike scale worms they are typically long and slender worms. The upper lobes on their parapodia are enlarged and shaped like a large simple plant leaf. These parapodial lobes generally do not extend over the worm's body, but overlap the parapodia behind it. In addition to these large parapodial lobes, the heads of these worms are quite distinctive. They typically have one or two pairs of large and evident eyes. Unlike the eunicids, phyllodocids do not often show a flight response and one often sees them out hunting in daylight. It is possible that they have a noxious taste or some other predator defense, but that has not been tested. Elsewhere on the head are several pairs of long tentacles extending forward of the worm and out laterally on each side of the head. Phyllodocids lack the "forehead" tentacle characteristic of the eunicids. They are active predators, often on other worms, and hunt down, attack and kill their prey. They have been seen infrequently in reef aquaria, but reports of their presence seem to be increasing. Some species reach lengths of a couple of feet, but most are a few inches long. As with the scale worms, they don't seem to persist in reef aquaria, presumably as such aquaria cannot support the diversity of prey necessary to maintain them."

Here's the article.
Http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

The only difference in the pics is mine is orange. But had the distict eye's, frekin turned around to look at me and its eye's glimmered to the flashlight, like a freakin cat eye at night. So will this thing eat coral, or just eat other worms, pods, etc. I guess there pretty rare.
Thanks,

Luke

luke33
02/13/2008, 10:28 AM
FWIW, i tried taking a pic of it last night but couldn't get anything worth a crap. Just orange blur.