PDA

View Full Version : Considering A Bubble Anemone, Any Insight?

ProHaloSniper
02/13/2008, 10:43 AM
Hey guys, its been a while:

I just recently (1 week ago) set up a 6 Gallon Eclipse Tank. I have added a 2" bed of live sand, a really nice piece of LR, (2) Porcelain Crabs, (2) Blue Legged Hermits, and (2) Peppermint Shrimp. Everybody seems to be doing ok.

I tested my water out yesterday, and got the following:

Ammo: 0
Nitrates: 10
Nitrites: 0
pH: 8.6
sG: 1.024-1.025 (I bought Pre-mixed SW from Petsmart)

I want to be sure I am ready for an anemone before I spend money on one, so I have a few questions:

1) Do bubble anemones need to be fed, or do they feed themselves?

2) Will they harm anything in my tank? I know they wont harm the porcelain(anemone) crabs.

3) I know a week and a half might not be long enough...Should I see a cycle?

4) Is the standard light in the Eclipse 6 enough for the Bubble Anemone? If not, please suggest something!

I think that's all the questions I have. Any insight would be really, really helpful.

Thanks guys,

Jim C.

dileggi
02/13/2008, 11:09 AM
Hey Jim,

I don't believe the tank has finished its cycle yet. While each tank is different and the timing can be quite different, I'm thinking one week or so is kinda quick.

I've never actually kept an anemone, so as far as that goes, I'm not going to be much help. But, from what I've read on other posts, you should have a mature tank for one. Usually, people have said not add one until the tank is one year old.

What I would probably suggest, is to try posting this thread in the clownfish/anemone forum on reefcentral. You may get some more experienced anemone keepers with some good insight.

Good Luck.

ProHaloSniper
02/13/2008, 11:15 AM
Hey Eric,

I will definitely try that. I knew that a week was way too quick, so I guess that's my fault for posting that on there. I want to make sure everything checks out before I can go ahead and add something like that. For now, I'll stick with my inverts until I can add something a little more temperamental.

Oh and btw, Go Eagles! I'm from the Greater Northeast part of Philly originally.

Thanks Eric,

--Jim C.

dileggi
02/13/2008, 11:37 AM
Good luck Jim. I am certainly looking forward to adding an anemone myself in the future. That was one of the main things I wanted when I set up the tank. I guess I've watched Nemo one to many time with my son! LOL!

I was a little disappointed to find out I had to wait that long before adding one, but figured I would play it safe since majority said to wait at least a year. I guess in the grand scheme of things, a year isn't that bad.

Are you really? That's pretty cool. How do you like VA? It's certainly a football town here, that's for sure. But, I am a hockey nut! Football comes second with me!

Leafer
02/13/2008, 03:07 PM
Hi Jim,

I’d say give it more time and read. I’m familiar with the eclipse 6. It may be possible to set up a nice display of an anemone and clown fish. Clowns naturally don’t stray too far from their homes. The light you have is only a few watts and is grossly inadequate for the anemone. You will also need some supplemental flow and excellent water quality. I really hope you change your goal because it will be hard for you to keep this animal alive and happy in that aquarium. Maybe just a clown or two when you’re ready.

Nanz
02/13/2008, 03:15 PM
I hate to burst your bubble but you really need a larger tank for a BTA. I have a 12" RBTA under 6x56W T5 lights. They need lots of light and good flow. I feed mine half of a silverside every 3 days. Silverside is a like a minow, hehe. They also grow pretty fast IMO...

Maybe you could find a Condy Anemone.. They require the least amount of light and they are great with crabs. Just don't put any fish in the tank and you should be ok.

Prometheus
02/13/2008, 03:23 PM
You'll need to be careful about mixing an anemone with other corals. Picture a 12" mass of tentacles that can wander around your tank and sting stuff. They should settle down, but there's no guarantee's they won't move around occasionally. I had an RBTA in my 50 gallon that did quite a number to my brain coral. I have since revamped my tank and have 3 BTA's, but no other corals.

shred5
02/13/2008, 03:28 PM
I agree the tank is way to small. Plus your tank is not even close to being cycled. Any anemone should only be added to an established tank.

Even though a BTA is a good beginner anemone, no anemone is for a beginner.

Bta’s are an easier to keep than most other anemones and can adapt to lesser lighting than most other anemonies and I find some actually prefer it.

They do benefit from feeding. I like to feed mine silversides, mysis etc. and will split and grow much faster if fed.

Bta’s can be harmful to other things in a tank esp in a small tank.

All powerheads and over flows need to be covered up because a Bta will find them eventually.

Dave

ProHaloSniper
02/13/2008, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the insight! I will possibly consider an anemone in my 75 gallon display tank in my TV Room. Would you suggest anything else that would require less lighting in my 6 gallon? I really want something other than fish and LR, so what about mushrooms, featherdusters, etc?

Let me know, guys!

--Jim C.

ProHaloSniper
02/13/2008, 03:47 PM
@ Nanz - Does the Condy anemone work well with clowns?

--Jim C.

shred5
02/13/2008, 03:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11840236#post11840236 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ProHaloSniper
@ Nanz - Does the Condy anemone work well with clowns?

--Jim C.

Sometimes but they are not a natural host.

Dave

ProHaloSniper
02/13/2008, 03:54 PM
@shred5 - Any other anems that would work well with little light and clowns?

That might be a hard combo to match, but who knows!

--Jim C.

shred5
02/13/2008, 04:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11840308#post11840308 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ProHaloSniper
@shred5 - Any other anems that would work well with little light and clowns?

That might be a hard combo to match, but who knows!

--Jim C.

Not that hosts clowns... Clowns are wierd in what they may host in. I have seen them host in hairy mushrooms. But it is not even a guarrentee that a clown will host....That tank my be a little small for a pair of clowns too....

Anemonies are hard to do in small tanks:
A.) because they can be agressive. B.) Requires stable water. C.) can grow large. D.) they can move.

If you go to the nano forums there is allot of info and stuff to put in a nano, plus examples of other aquairiums like yours........ There is allot you can do with it.

Dave

mikemartinez
02/13/2008, 04:44 PM
I have that same tank that I am using as a frag tank currently but i used to use it as a Nano...

I took off the hood and just left the filter on and bought a Nova Extreme light for it and it fits right in front of the filter without a problem..

This is the one I bought:

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=16770&Nty=1&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntk=All&N=2004&Ntt=nova&Np=1

It was the 18" model..

I kept Mushrooms, Feather Dusters, Zoos, Kenya Tree, Anthelia's, Acans, Frogspawns and other softies without a single problem... The only reason I use it as a frag tank now is because I got a 14 gal Biocube...

Never tried and Anemone though.. I have a Bubble Anemone in my 29 but have him under a 14000k 150w metal halide...

I have yet to see clown host a condy.. Plus I wouldnt recommend one anyways because they love to move around a tank....