PDA

View Full Version : backgrounds

osteo23
02/13/2008, 02:11 PM
is it better to put a plastic poster on the outside of the tank or paint the outside of the tank? I have a 90g tank and just starting out. If paint is the best option, what kind of paint?

slapshot16
02/13/2008, 02:30 PM
It is much easier to change the background if it is a "poster" than if you paint it. I painted my 55 blue with an acrylic paint and brushed it on. Some people spray it on. After seeing other tanks, I thought black would look better. There are few links here where people have used limosine tinting for the background. I did not paint my new 90, but I have dark gray walls. I kind of like it. Once it gets covered with coraline algea, it doesn't really matter in my opinion.

pIankton
02/13/2008, 02:45 PM
I used black 3M vinyl sheeting on the back of my 90. It goes on easy enough and IMO is more durable than paint or the stick on backgrounds. If you've never layed vinyl, it's probably best to lay it down wet than dry that way you can compensate for errors.

You can get it at Fastsigns or any other sign supply shop in your area. Comes in countless colors too.

PoukieBear
02/13/2008, 02:47 PM
A little trick that Melev tought me...

Use a poster, and stick it on with Vaseline. Push all the air bubbles out of it, and voila! A nice backround. And if you ever want to chang it up, simply peel it off and apply the new one. It's not permanant, it's cheap, it's easy, and it's safe!

kzickovich
02/13/2008, 03:01 PM
poukiabear where were you about a month ago right before I painted mine, that's agreat idea. I do like blue spay paint but I like the cheesy reef posters to, but salt kept getting between the poster and the glass.