PDA

View Full Version : Need Help With Powder Blue Tang

robnuti
02/13/2008, 04:58 PM
I had a Powder Blue Tang. When I woke up this morning he was dead. We purchased him a few weeks ago. I put him in the tank directly (which I have since learned from). He came down with Ich. My LFS suggested to dip him in an ich cure. I did a dip, and he looked better. A couple days later I came home from work and he was covered with ich, again. I took him out and set up a QT. His ich was cured, I waited a couple of days after it was gone, and then I put him back in the tank. Over the last few days I have kept an eye on him and he looked great. Then this morning he was dead. I have checked my water. I have no bad stuff in there. My chemistry checks out fine. I keep harder things in the tank, like a BTA that are doing great. Could his death be left over from the stress of the ick? If I could get some advise I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks
Rob

capncapo
02/13/2008, 05:04 PM
You might want to head over to the fish disease forum and do some reading on ich. It's not something that is cured in one or two dips. The parasite goes through various stages and you need to understand those stages.

Rickyrooz1
02/13/2008, 05:07 PM
If you keep putting the fish back into the Ich infested tank the fish will keep getting Ich even if you treat the fish with a dip. Next time set up a QT for 6 weeks and use either copper sulfate or the hyposalinity method. Make sure you take out all the fish in your display tank and do not add any new fish to it. The Ich should die in the display tank after the 6 week treatment the fish have in the QT.

JENnKerry
02/14/2008, 04:23 AM
The key with keeping powder blues is to get a healthy one from the start. He might have had some kind of other disease.

stuccodude
02/14/2008, 07:44 AM
im sure the stress from all the dips and qt probly too much for the little guy, pbt and very ich prone. mine had it bad but i was advised to give him garlic and its been a year, good luck

robnuti
02/14/2008, 08:18 PM
Will garlic get rid of ich, or does just help with keep the sick fish eating?

Rickyrooz1
02/14/2008, 09:42 PM
As far as I know the only way to get rid of Ich is with copper sulfate or hyposalinity.

R.W.
02/14/2008, 09:49 PM
garlic doesn't get rid of ich, it only helps with the fish eating. I have also heard of it improving the immune system but i doubt the bottled garlic still has those enzymes after sitting on a shelf for a while, maybe freshly squeezed garlic will.