PDA

View Full Version : Clean up Crew Packages

Bremmon
02/13/2008, 05:48 PM
After a tank cycles we are supposed to add the CUC.
I have read where you should add things slowly but packages you buy seem to add dozens of critters to the tank all at once.

Seems like that would spell disaster. Anyone have problems adding an entire CUC package to your aquarium?

Deb91
02/13/2008, 07:27 PM
Don't buy one of those packages! What size tank to you have?

ArgonDreams
02/13/2008, 08:00 PM
There is nothing wrong with those packages, although, I personally am more conservative and prefer the do-it-yourself package from www.eTropicals.com which includes shipping after a certain amount. I like that because I get what I want at a good price. However I have seen a lot of packages from other vendors that are just fine, just feed the package during the couple months.

Most CUC need to be replenished yearly. Inevitability with snail/crab packages the snails will kill some crabs. A snail might fall and be picked on so don't expect that the one package you buy will last you forever or even a "long time" (2-3 years is the best I personally have heard of). Also a lot of the packages have incredibly tiny items in them (Nassarius snails (my personal favorite) Dwarf Blue Legs) that you have have 20-40 of them with little issue.

check out eTropicals Build Your Own (http://www.etropicals.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=45&pCatId=1805)

Deb91
02/13/2008, 08:15 PM
The packages try to sell you way to much stuff. It's much better to pick out your own! I have never had a problem with a snail killing crabs, it's the other way around in my tank. Reef scavengers also allow you to purchase whatever you want.
http://www.reefscavengers.com/

DoctorLps
02/13/2008, 08:32 PM
I have heard good things about reeftopia.com
They offer a wide variety of cuc to fit your liking.

ArgonDreams
02/14/2008, 06:32 AM
My bad, reverse what I said, I have no idea why I said snails killing crabs, I meant hermits killing snails. Anyway I have used reefscavengers but you still pay shipping up to $150.00. So if you want a smaller $60.00 starter pack as I assume you alluded to the original poster then Etropicals is ideal since shipping is free after $60.00. However After $170 or so in cleaners there are multiple great vendors, marinedepotlive, reefscavengers, reeftopia to all name a few.

And with all due respect, is that reefscavengers packages (Which I HAVE bought before) really isn't that much different in size and quantity from the vast majority of other vendors, in fact it looks nearly identical to liveaquaria and marinedepotlive's packages, so I guess I am not getting why you recommend this vendor but say not to buy one.

In short, I agree with Deb that most of the pre-built package give a new tank a lot of inverts, I personally don't think that it's too bad as you lose them over time anyway through natural predation and life cycle. I personally think a build your own package is better since you can pick and choose a smaller package to be exactly what you want and get a larger package later as your tank matures.

Good luck!

Bremmon
02/14/2008, 10:56 AM
Thanks for your replies. I want to be cautious so I will start out with adding a couple of crabs and a few snails and see how the water paramaters respond.

EllieSuz
02/14/2008, 11:17 AM
Suggest you do some research before you buy anything. The blue legged hermits, for example, are much more predatory than the scarlet legged ones. Some snails can't turn themselves over if they fall and belly up, they are easy prey. Emerald crabs are benign when they are small, but many get predatory as they grow. There are other examples, I'm sure, that your fellow reefers will remark upon. I highly recommend Nassarius snails. They burrow into the substrate and whoever said snails are slow, never saw one of these guys whisking across the sand. So some research and don't buy a package unless you know how each one will react in your reef.

mburke
02/14/2008, 12:31 PM
When I started with saltwater I purchased a large clean up crew. While this is necessary initially due to the algae cycles of a new tank as time goes on your crew, at least mine has,will dwindle. I have replenished many times with various snails and hermits. I always end up with about 20 total and some are on the glass other in the sand still others amongst the rock. TAnk is virtualluy algae free except for a little turf algae that grows on the return pump outputs(the tang keeps this in check). I have finally concluded the tank will balance itself out and the weakest starve. Just my opinion. Intiallty I think we need the big package after the tank matures I don't think it is necessary
Mike