PDA

View Full Version : new with a few simple questions

Headache
02/13/2008, 06:39 PM
Hello all, ive been reading the forums here for a month or two, and first would like to say the info gained has been invaluable and has saved me from countless stupid mistakes.

I just started my first tank, a 26 gal saltwater, soon to be coral reef tank.

First Q: I plan to have a fuge/sump soon, but in the meantime, am i really gimping myself by using an emperor 280 hang on back filter? aside from live rock/sand which seems to be fully cured, Its my only source of both water movement and filtration.
Note: as of now i have a single Ocs. clown, a firefish, a few snails and hermits, so no inhabitants that desperatly need water movement such as filter feeding corals and such.

Second Q: MICROBUBBLES! the HOB filter i'm using seems to be circulating the water well, but the damn thing creates many tiny micro bubbles that cruise around the tank in the water current, How can i get rid of them?

Third Q: Which anenomies are best suited to hosting a clownfish?

Thanks for your time and consideration!

hogben
02/13/2008, 07:05 PM
I think people using the hob filters long term remove the actual filters and or biowheel from the device and just use it for flow. Short term it's probably ok.

The microbubbles could be because the filter is still new? I know with hob skimmers they can produce micro bubbles for a while until they break in.

I would read some of the FAQs in the anemone and clownfish forums about paring because it depends on the clownfish and is not guaranteed. BTAs are pretty hardy though, although for any anemone I would wait until your tank is a bit more established.

Get that sump going soon so you can drop a skimmer in it.

ahullsb
02/13/2008, 07:09 PM
The emperor is probably alright for the time being. But yes you are "gimping" yourself. Look through the small tank forum to get some ideas of how people are running smaller tanks. Don't those filters have a paddle wheel that dumps water back in? If so I don't see how you would get rid of bubbles. And I really would advise against an anemone for a few more months. Especially since you will probably change filtration, lighting etc. Some are easier to care for than others. Read through the clown and anemone forum to see what I am talking about.

Headache
02/13/2008, 10:39 PM
Thanks for the input yall, thats about what i was thinking for the bubbles and anenome, i definatly planned on waiting a good while to drop anything that fragile in there. Again, thanks.

drparker
02/13/2008, 11:01 PM
Is you water level at least above the lower lip of the exit. You don't want a waterfall from the filter into the tank. Also until you pull the bio-wheel aim the spray bar backwards so that it slows to almost stops the wheel instead of causing it to spin as fast as possible.

drparker
02/13/2008, 11:23 PM
A little info on why we say remove the wheel.

The bio-wheel and your live rock serve the same purpose.

The bio wheel is more efficient at growing the bacteria that changes ammonia in to nitrites and nitrites into nitrates because it's exposed to lots of oxygen as it rotates. So the bacteria colonies start to inhabit the wheel more than the rock. The rock has the advantage in that it and sand have areas that can grow bacteria that remove nitrates and it's surface area is greater so it holds a lot more bacteria.

Your bio-wheel will produce more nitrates than live rock will. When you remove the wheel you will remove a lot of useful bacteria. You'll get a mini-cycle as your live rock grows more bacteria to make up for the missing wheel. Remove the wheel now before you get a bigger bio-load and you will lessen the effect and shorten the length of the mini-cycle.

When you do remove the bio-wheel do a water change three days later. Wait 3 weeks before adding any new livestock. Plug the spray bar holes if your still going to use the filter for water movement and/ or carbon filtering, your bubbles are from the spray bar or a waterfall.

Mavrk
02/13/2008, 11:26 PM
It is a little harder to start with a smaller tank for a beginner, but with the help here you should manage okay. Wait at least 6 months for the anemone if you want it to thrive. Also, clownfish will not always host an anemone. But read up in the anemone and clownfish forum as suggested above. Remember that anemones move (unlike coral). In a tank that small it might disturb some of the corals. Keep asking questions and...

[welcome]