PDA

View Full Version : looking to start my first SW tank.first post

BIGSSSS
02/13/2008, 09:33 PM
I have only had tropical FW tanks and currently have a 75.gal. african rift lake set up. I am starting from scratch with marine fish!
I no nothing ! I have a 55 gal. tank I was thinking about turning into my first SW experience. Ireally have a lost feeling at this point but I'm anxious to gain knowledge. I do understand the importance of doing the homework before I get started to be sucessful. I guess my first question is, I don't want to start with a reef tank just a basic SW tank. Am I at the right place ? If so where do I begin ?

Shooter7
02/13/2008, 09:36 PM
[welcome]

You can start by clicking on this thread link that has a ton of links to various topics in SW.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1031074

Also at the top of the forum is Waterkeeper's newbie thread with articles he's writing on getting started.

good luck :cool:

BLKTANG
02/13/2008, 09:39 PM
Welcome to RC,& the wallet draining hobby.

haywood2
02/13/2008, 09:51 PM
BIGSSSS, take my advice for what it's worth, but it will probably save you money. Do not do a fish only tank, at the very least do fish only with live rock. Get at least 1lb per gallon. Also use sand as ur substrate, not crushed coral. Setup the tank with the water and add the salt, and then add the live rock. Let the tank cycle like that, and then start adding fish a month or two later. Also, if I had to do it again I would definitely drill my tank and use a sump with an internal protein skimmer. A protein skimmer is a MUST. Also make sure you have plenty of flow with some powerheads. This is just some basic info for you.

SquidHC
02/13/2008, 10:09 PM
I think the best suggesting we can give you right now is to spend the next few weeks reading as much as you possibly can. When you feel you have a good grasp of things then make a plan on paper or type it here, asking for any tips or constructive criticism. Once you know what you want to do, then do it. Doing anything in the hobby is just a road leading down expensive disasters. Also, for a reefer on a budget, always look at the "Used goods for sale" forums.

BLKTANG
02/13/2008, 10:12 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11843445#post11843445 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SquidHC
I think the best suggesting we can give you right now is to spend the next few weeks reading as much as you possibly can. When you feel you have a good grasp of things then make a plan on paper or type it here, asking for any tips or constructive criticism. Once you know what you want to do, then do it. Doing anything in the hobby is just a road leading down expensive disasters. Also, for a reefer on a budget, always look at the "Used goods for sale" forums.

Well said.;)

Aquarist007
02/13/2008, 10:34 PM
but don't hesitate to ask questions and more questions and more questions etc etc.

One tip however is to limit one question per post unless related to each other--then you don't get bombared with too much advise at once. :)

Teen Aquarist
02/13/2008, 11:04 PM
I really dont think Fish only tank would be a good idea. At one point I bet you will want coral or at least Inverts. Buy items that would work with reefs like T5 lighting.