PDA

View Full Version : Son of a BLEACH!

jlunde
02/14/2008, 02:18 PM
I decided to top my tank off w/ RO water with a little bleach in it - on accident!! I had a "smelly" bucket that had some old sand in it and was soaking it in bleach to get the smell out. Well - long story short, I ended up adding some bleach water to my tank. Not sure how much bleach was in it, but the fish and shrimp died in about 5 mins. I know, I know. Got all my corals out asap, and put them into a different tank and they all seem to be fine. I'm sure most of the good bacteria/organisms are dead. Can I salvage the live rock? I've heard of doing a 50% water change, then another one the next day. I've already added some tap water purifier that removes chlorine. This did make the skimmer go a little crazy, as expected. So, that's where its at. Any advice besides don't be a dingbat and don't put the bucket of bleach water by your pure RO top-off water?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/14/2008, 02:21 PM
Wow, sorry to hear this. :(

I've already added some tap water purifier that removes chlorine.

I thought the Tap Water Purifier was a cartridge. What exactly did you add?

You might get a chlorine kit to see if you have neutralized it all. Carbon will also help.

What size tank? If there is little left alive, I might do a 100% change.

The rock may or may not be OK depending on the amount of bleach actually added.

jlunde
02/14/2008, 02:27 PM
Not sure how much bleach. Probably 3 gallons of water - in those 3 gallons it was probably 80% water, 20% bleach. Enough to kill the fish in 5 mins. I've added a water conditioner that removes chlorine and chloramine and provides a stress coat. Its a liquid. White bottle - blue cap.

jlunde
02/14/2008, 02:27 PM
Its AquaPlus Water Conditioner from Hagen.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/14/2008, 02:36 PM
Oh, that's a ton of bleach. I'd do the 100% water change. You'll need a lot of dechlorinator to dechlorinate that. Probably about 600 mL of dechlorinator.

jlunde
02/14/2008, 02:42 PM
I had one little piece of montipora that wasn't removed and the polyps were actually extended today when I checked it. There were also two hermit crabs alive and one snail that made it. Maybe not as much bleach as I thought went in. I can add a carbon insert to single bio wheel filter (no wheel) - only for water flow w/ some live rock. You said there are chlorine test kits? I guess it would be worth a try. I got that whole bottle of Water conditioner. :)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/14/2008, 03:32 PM
Yes, chlorine test kits are pretty cheap. Good news on the things still alive. Maybe it is under control. A lot of the bleach may have expended itself oxidizing organics in the tank. :)

jlunde
02/14/2008, 03:36 PM
Thanks for the help Randy. Because of this little chemical catastrophe, I've ordered my "TANK". Oceanic - Ultimate - Starphire glass front 178 RR, just today. Hope I won't have to wait long, but now project planning begins. I think I'll just use bleach for my dirty socks from here on out.

ozzman
02/14/2008, 04:07 PM
good job jaymo!!!

jlunde
02/14/2008, 04:09 PM
My sand is whiter, but it wasn't safe on colors.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2008, 08:17 AM
:lol:

Did coralline turn white?

jlunde
02/15/2008, 09:12 AM
Not yet. I checked again last night. And that little, tiny piece of encrusting monti (about 3mm) diameter still has open polyps on it. No white corraline. I'm going to do a 50% water change tonight and another on Sunday or Monday....then another, later that week. I'm sure I'll have another cycle on my tank, but I should be able to work with the live rock with out drying it out completely. I THINK??????

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/15/2008, 11:41 AM
Yes, that sounds like a fine plan.

Again, I'm sorry to hear such a thing happened. It could happen to any of us.

Good luck. :)