PDA

View Full Version : Scratches on my glass aquarium

CaptainJack
02/14/2008, 11:11 PM
Ok for a long time I did not have a background on my tank, just clear in the back. Shortly after getting the tank, I used a razor to get some stubborn algae off the glass. After doing this I noticed some small scratches all over the tank. They werent super noticable but I decided I wouldnt be using the razor blade anymore obviously. Just recently I put a black background on the tank and the scratches now show up like a neon light. I have two choices now:
1. trash the tank and get a new one
2. find a way to remove the scratches; preferably without having to drain the tank.

So far all I have seen are scratch removal kits for acrylic tanks, what I would like to know is if anyone has any information or suggestions on how to remove scratches from the glass. They arent very deep, but the are very noticable.

No I cannot flip the glass, the scratches are on the back as well
And yes I was an idiot for using a razorblade (never had before, buddy told me he does it all the time...........oh well, spilled milk)

jamesnmandy
02/14/2008, 11:19 PM
option 3

stop worrying about them and let the corraline algae cover the scratches, since they are at the back anyways

limitedslip
02/14/2008, 11:21 PM
This option

http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

CaptainJack
02/14/2008, 11:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11852320#post11852320 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jamesnmandy
option 3

stop worrying about them and let the corraline algae cover the scratches, since they are at the back anyways
lol, I wish.............. they are front, back, and sides :mad:

mike_777
02/14/2008, 11:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11852334#post11852334 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by limitedslip
This option

http://www.fitchfamily.com/glass.html

Looks like a lot of work, but I'm sure it's worth it depending on size of tank.

CaptainJack
02/14/2008, 11:38 PM
65 tall and I would have to completely drain the tank. At that point, if thats what its going to take, I think Ill be replacing the tank with one that has overflows.
:eek1: