PDA

View Full Version : 3/4" setting on 1/2" glass?

paulthomas
02/15/2008, 01:56 AM
Will using the 3/4" setting on 1/2" glass cause any issues like unusual wear, heightened noise, etc.?

Thanks,
Paul

IceCap Service
02/15/2008, 07:18 AM
The pin spacer does not have a 3/4 setting. For 3/4 inch glass you do not use the spacer. If your glass is 1/2 inch then you must set the spacer for 1/2 inch. If you do not use the spacer, the magnets will be closer together than it should be. It will provide stronger magnetic attraction but could cause noise and motor overheating resulting in equipment damage.

Big_D
02/15/2008, 07:30 AM
This was copied from the "Vortech FAQ's" post:

Why is the wet side of my pump spinning?
Sometimes the wet side of the pump will spin slowly in place. This is frequently a sign that the glass needs to be cleaned more effectively on the inside of the aquarium where the pump is mounted. In the event that cleaning the glass does not solve this problem, the problem goes away by itself if left alone for a day or so. In the most extreme cases where this problem does not go away after several days, change the pin spacer setting to one size thicker aquarium. For example, if you have a 3/8” thick aquarium and are experiencing this problem, change the pin spacer setting to that for a 1/2” thick aquarium.

So does this not apply if you have 1/2" glass?...

EcoTech Marine
02/15/2008, 10:03 AM
CATIII:

I should update the FAQ. Typically we don't recommend that you remove the pin spacer on a 1/2" tank. At the time that the FAQ was written there was a problem with pumps spinning and this corrected it. Now we do not have that problem and the negatives to this practice, as Dave mentioned above, are not worth it.

-Tim

paulthomas
02/15/2008, 12:29 PM
Right, I know about removing the spacer for 3/4" glass. I should've mentioned that.

Well, my tank won't be here for another three months. We'll see how it goes.

Thanks a lot guys.