PDA

View Full Version : Bleach?

ginger7286
02/15/2008, 09:20 AM
The sponge I have in my converted wet/dry (converted to a plenium) system is getting nasty. I have ordered two more to rotate them. I was told to keep nitrates from building up in the sponges I need to clean them in a bleach/water solution. I have never done this before and I certainly do not want it to end in disaster. What is the ratio bleach to water, how long should it soak and what is the proper rinsing procedure? How do you know if all the bleach has been rinsed out? Help I want to make my friends happy, but the bleach scares me. Is there another method to killing the nitrates in the sponge safely?

JoeTSI
02/15/2008, 09:37 AM
Bleach equals chlorine which equals BAD. I'd rinse in a vinegar bath and then rinse with RODI water.

siropa
02/15/2008, 09:51 AM
Bleach is a fine use for this. many, many people use it for this. do something like 1 cup bleach to 5 gals water. obviously scale that down if you are using a small container for the sponge. just rinse it really good when done. I usually soak my sponges or filter socks or whatever in another container of water with some amquel or prime for a day after rinsing. been doing this for over 15 years with no ill effects.

madcowz
02/15/2008, 10:13 AM
What siropa said. I have used bleach for as long as I can remember. Just make sure the bleach smell is gone and you will be fine.

ginger7286
02/15/2008, 03:29 PM
Thanks I appreciate it. JoeTSI what ratio of vinegar to water do you use?