PDA

View Full Version : How can you tell if a mantis is molting?

violet21chewy
12/03/2002, 09:08 AM
Mine has been in his pvc pipe for the past 3 days with both ends covered in rubble. I can barely see into it and can just see him just lying there not moving. I tapped the glass a little and he is still alive. Is this the behavior for molting? Before he blockaded himself in I tried feeding him and he threw the food back out. I know he won't eat if he is getting ready to molt. Also how long does it take? Thanks for any info!

febtober
12/04/2002, 02:23 AM
that sounds like molting behavior, mine was similar, hid for a few days and not hungry, then one morning old exoskeleton on the sand and he stayed inside for another day or so.

violet21chewy
12/04/2002, 08:37 AM
Thanks! As of this morning he is still in his pvc pipe.

RogueCorps
12/13/2002, 02:52 AM
Hey Violet,

Mine's doing the same thing currently. She is refusing food and has the "doors" closed. We purchased her with a couple of battle scars on her carapace so I'm curious how much will be healed while molting.

Does anyone have reports of how many days they might fast before molting, and how frequent they'll molt? I'm just glad she's doing it now, since we'll be moving soon and I'd hate to stress her out during a molt phase.

Thanks!

-Rogue