PDA

View Full Version : 2 clowns in a 20g?

02/15/2008, 06:21 PM
i have a 20g tank ... kind of a budget setup just a hob aquaclear filter and 15lb LR 20lb LS 2x24" normal "GE fresh and saltwater" bulbs.

so far i have a crab and 1 clown, lots of little bugs, a baseball sized microalgae ball, a MJ 900 power head (and heater of course) in there thats it

my levels always seem good, i use grocery store r/o water and instant ocean salt. i have a little green algae on rocks and glass and some green grass-like stuff recently sprouting from crevises on my rocks.

thats everything i can pretty much tell about it, do you guys think id be ok adding one more clown? my other one looks bored, he eats good and has been in there almost 2 months

dzeadow
02/15/2008, 07:10 PM
It depends on what type of clown, but if you have one of the smaller types, i.e. percula, occellaris, etc, it shouldn't be a problem. Just make sure the new clown is smaller than the one in your tank. There's a lot of people that have 2 clowns (of the smaller variety) in 10g tanks... there's plenty of breeders that do the 10g thing, so 20g is plenty big.

Agu
02/15/2008, 08:04 PM
thats everything i can pretty much tell about it, do you guys think id be ok adding one more clown? my other one looks bored, he eats good and has been in there almost 2 months

Uhh "he" is probably now a "she", clownfish have changing sexual identities. You can possibly pair her up with a boyfriend if it's an immature male. Or she just might kill her new roommate. I suggest more research before attempting to add a second clownfish. It can be done if it's done right.

NanoReefWanabe
02/15/2008, 08:41 PM
i thought they only changed identities in the presence of another clown...a school of clowns will stay asexual...i would have thought a single clown would stay as well...

at any rate i am sure for territorial reasons you should be careful adding a second clown...be sure it is the same species and smaller...

on a side note i have 2 clowns a six line wrasse and a green chromis in my 20H

cherubfish pair
02/15/2008, 09:36 PM
7808, is this a 20 long or 20 high? Also what do you have for circulation other than the aquaclear?

02/15/2008, 09:52 PM
just a maxi jet 900. i have small-ish percula , also thought they remain asexual but i guess there with 8 or so others in a tank at the store anything can happen so who knows

my tank is a standard 20g size i think 20H? its about 24" wide

Bernie21
02/16/2008, 01:24 AM
Amphrion Ocellaris can have a gender change as fast as 10 days of being alone. Clowns in schools take longer to switch genders because they have to compete with each other, with the most aggressive becoming the female, the 2nd most aggresive becoming the alpha male, so on and so on. A clown by it self with no competition can beging the gender switch almost immediately, but can stop or reverse if a partner is introduced rather quickly. In summary, you can get another clown, but make sure you pick out a smaller less aggressive one from the bunch (or she can kill it) and she (your current clown) will grow to appreciate him. GL!!

PS- 20gal is just fine for 2 A. Ocellaris!!