PDA

View Full Version : Homeowner issues ...

Sssnakemom31
02/15/2008, 08:32 PM
Who knew that when you get a new home, you have ALL the stuff that goes with a new home to deal with?!?!

For instance ... you hear how GREAT having 2000 channels will be on your TV, but hooking up the dish for reception ... now, THAT is a PAIN!!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/563/148472Matrix_hooks_up_his_dish_network_2-08.jpg

And if you have only ever lived in an apartment or condo, or had OTHER people taking care of your lawn and shrubbery, you don't realize how much work THAT can be, either!!!

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/563/148472Cecking_on_the_shrubbery.jpg

What's next - PLUMBING!?!?!?

lifemalfunction
02/15/2008, 11:41 PM
Haha, comical.

ShootMe
02/16/2008, 02:33 AM
Very nice pics. Love the purple color of the mantis, almost blends into the mushroom.

gharner
02/16/2008, 07:17 AM
what species is that....O. Lastorisis(spelling) ?? or O. havensis??

Sssnakemom31
02/16/2008, 07:23 AM
Matrix is an O. havanensis - and a very outgoing, personable one, too! Since we are close much of the time (he sits on my desk right where I am much of the time), he is very interactive, and not at all camera shy. I think he is bucking for his own movie one of these days .... :D

Gonodactylus
02/16/2008, 07:26 PM
O h. do much better if they have space and materials to burrow.

Roy

gharner
02/17/2008, 05:49 PM
how large of a tank is matrix in??? i would some day like to keep an O. havanensis but the largest tank that i have available is a 12gallon. they seem to be very interesting stomatopods.

Gonodactylus
02/17/2008, 06:05 PM
Given that O. havaneisis is small, rarely over 60 mm, they should be alright in a 40 l tank. However, they are quite sensitive to water parameters and low oxygen. This argues against a nano. Also, the foot print of nanos is usually small. Given that these animals live in open habitats where they burrow, a deep nano packed with corals, etc. and running high intensity lighting is not a good fit with this species. I therefore recommend that they be kept in at least an 80 l tank with little or no additional lighting and as broad a foot print as possible. The substrate should be a mixture of sand and gravel with broken shell and small marble sized pieces of rubble with depth of a couple of inches. Add one saucer sized and shape piece of coral rubble. The animal will start constructing its burrow under the large piece and then eventually build a mound of rubble expanding the u-shaped burrow and covering over the plate.

I know that people keep O. havanensis and O. latirostris in smaller coral tanks, but if you want an animal that behaves normally, is less inclined to get shell disease, and that is less likely to die from a dip in oxygen or an ammonia spike, I think you will have better long term results with a bigger, dimmer system.

Roy

Sssnakemom31
02/17/2008, 06:31 PM
Roy, i understand what you are saying. Matrix has about 2 inches of substrate, several small pieces of live rock, lots of shells, small rubble and such to rearrange with. He has not been a pacer, meaning he is not rampaging around as if he is cramped. I am very sensetive to my animals' needs, and should he appear to "outgrow" this enclosure, I will most certainly move him to something larger. So far, his couple of mushrooms, a few star polyps and about 10 zoos haven't seemed to cramp him either, and the lighting, while not really dim, is not high wattage output either, adequate for the few corals in there is all.

I know that what I have set-up for Matrix may not be the ideal for the species, and I respect that. It is so far seeming to give him everything he needs, and I do make sure that I keep his water parameters closely monitored.

Thank you for being so caring of these animals!

Gonodactylus
02/17/2008, 07:31 PM
I wasn't trying to be critical, just trying to explain my recommendation for a larger, dimmer less coral covered system. My major concerns are with cubes full of corals and algae and brightly lite in which oxygen levels can crash at night. Sounds like you have everything under control.

They are neat animals.

Roy

gharner
02/17/2008, 07:34 PM
Dr. Roy, thanks so much for all of the great info.....i would love to eventually keep one of these manitses but im already having trouble with my first mantis....and its a pretty much bullet proof N. wennerae. he's just layin on his back moving his swimarettes...tank params are good.
sssnakemom31: how large is the tank that you are keeping matrix in? he is a beautiful mantis....and i have to say that my favorite pic is the one with the shaving brush plant....it looks like hes actually taking care of it hahahaha.