PDA

View Full Version : What is a good alternative to commercial marine calcium

RAY HUNTER
02/15/2008, 08:45 PM
I've heard something about baking soda and some kinda pickling stuff? anyone have the news on this subject?

paulyl61
02/15/2008, 09:12 PM
Mrs Wages Pickling Lime, buy it in supermarkets that carry home canning stuff, mix with RO/DI water, a couple of tablespoons per gallon, wait for the water to clear and drip the clear but saturated water into your tank. Measurements are not critical as the water will only hold so much, the rest will settle to the bottom waiting for more fresh water :) Simple

Runfrumu
02/15/2008, 09:21 PM
bulkreef supply has the stuff like "turbo calcium" except alot more and alot cheaper. It's pellets of the calcium they use in most of the liquid calcium supplements so less goes alot further.

spleify
02/15/2008, 10:14 PM
I use:
Heat driveway salt= Turbo calcium

Mrs. Wages pickling lime= Kalkwasser

same products from what I have read, and have never had any ill affects.
HTH
Spleify

noboddi
02/15/2008, 10:17 PM
Mrs Wages/Kalk is the way to go IMO, unless you use a CA Reactor. I don't like Calcium Chloride myself (Turbo Calcium)

jthao
02/15/2008, 11:08 PM
so calcium reactor/ kalkwasser does the same thing right? if you have a calcium reactor, you don't need to do kalkwasser in rodi top off? and to think that I was going to use a calcium reactor and a kalkwasser reactor.....hmmm. sorry don't wanna hijack this thread, I use any type of pickling lime in my top off water. most of the pickling lime from supermarkets work.

seapug
02/15/2008, 11:23 PM
It seems kinda silly to me, but some people do use both a reactor and Kalk. The Kalk is used to offset the pH reduction of the reactor. Bottom line is both work well.

jthao
02/15/2008, 11:46 PM
so both do the same thing right? that's what I thought.