PDA

View Full Version : kalk reactor

an411
02/16/2008, 12:53 AM
Is there ever such a need for calcuim that a kalk reactor will not be able to keep up with demand?

From what I read it seems that some people switch to a calcium reactor if the tank needs a lot of calcuim?

khoivo1
02/16/2008, 12:56 AM
i think you are right,,but if you don't have much hard coral then you never need calcium reactor,,,good luck

an411
02/16/2008, 12:56 AM
One more thing any benefit to a pump circulated over stirrer type reactor?

Daemonfly
02/16/2008, 01:25 AM
Many people find that a recirculating pump doesn't last too long (wears out from the kalk) and needs replaced or at least a new impeller.

demonsp
02/16/2008, 01:50 AM
Depends on type of salt used , your calcium load , water source and change scedule and amount and last but not least your readings and coral health.
Keeping the calcium level steady and constant is best and if water changes alone with low stock dont keep up then change salt.If level stays close to safe a drip would be fine and if you seem to use more then a drip then a reactor maybe what you need.

jdieck
02/16/2008, 02:23 AM
All things being equal the total amount of alkalinity added by the lime water depends on the evaporation in your tank because the maximum volume of limewater you can add equals your evaporation otherwise your salinity will be reduced.
The following chart will show the maximum alkalinity you can add depending on your evaporation rate as a % of the toal system volume, say if your evaporation is 1-1/2 gallons per day and your system contains 100 gallons your evaporation ratio is 1.5%.
With that evaporation per day the maximum alkalinity consumption you can match with kalk will be 1.7 dKh per day.
If your tank alkalinity consumption per day is higher than that you will need to add a manual supplement like a two part or add a calcium reactor (or look for means to increase evaporation).
If on the contrary your tank consumption is below that amount you will need to prepare a more dilute weaker solution of lime water.

http://reef.diesyst.com/pics/evaporation.gif

an411
02/16/2008, 09:17 AM
I am planning on doing a sps dominated tank and the reason that I asked this question is because I do not want to get a kalk reactor to later on realize that my demand for calcium can only be satisfied by a cal reactor.

Sk8r
02/16/2008, 09:23 AM
It's easy to do a reactor without having a reactor---until you DO need a reactor. IE, drop 2 level tsp kalk powder per gallon of ro/di water into your ordinary autotopoff reservoir, stir it, lid tightly, and let it do its thing. [You have to 'set' your levels of mg, alk, cal by hand-dosing before using kalk.] As long as it holds your hand-set levels ok, it's good for you and you're not out any money at all. The day you can't hold your levels, your routine tests will tell you that and you can go buy that calcium reactor rig. At 120g you're right on the cusp of being able to function with kalk alone or having to go to a calcium rig.

SOme people who use calcium reactors find their ph won't stay up: in that case, they end up adding kalk anyway to keep the ph in line. [Kalkwasser is about ph 12, but that lowers fast as it hits the tank. It's why, however, it's best done in microdoses, as from an autotopoff.]

sjm817
02/16/2008, 09:25 AM
You can use Kalk for ca/alk supplementation without the expense and complexity of a reactor. Just mix 2 tsp/G in an auto topoff setup and let it settle.

Anton M
02/16/2008, 10:23 AM
Most people are fine with Kalk reactors.

an411
02/17/2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah i have an ato already sp i will try to dose through that first and then when its time for a reactor i will go that route