PDA

View Full Version : Green algae....be-gone

razingkane
02/16/2008, 09:08 AM
Well, after fighting an infestation of green hairy algae for more time than I can remember, I've decided to pull everything out, clean it all with a toothbrush, vacuum the sand, add some new LS, and put it all back together again. I've gone through everything trying to get this green algae under control. Lights, chemicals, water tests, CUC, water changes....blah blah blah blah blah......... I hope this works

Mr. Buck
02/16/2008, 09:26 AM
sally crab did the hair algae in my tank

zma21
02/16/2008, 04:21 PM
Good luck.

No matter what i did it came back. I've always used 0tds RO/DI.
Cut lights, cut feeding, all the way to selling all of my fish. The only nutrients going in now is cyclopeeze to feed my zoa's once a week.

zdawgnight
02/16/2008, 06:32 PM
how thick is your sand bed because that can hold some very harmful amounts of crap have you thought of going bare bottom? I started with about 2 inches of sand then someone told me how bad it can be and now my algae is at a much lower degree

Chorethorious
02/16/2008, 09:56 PM
sand a bad thing?!?! Now that is interesting to say... Lets remove all the sand in the ocean and fast!!! sorry... couldn't help myself :D

racksteris
02/16/2008, 11:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11866773#post11866773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Chorethorious
sand a bad thing?!?! Now that is interesting to say... Lets remove all the sand in the ocean and fast!!! sorry... couldn't help myself :D

HA, I just today removed all my live sand from my tank, I'm going bare bottom and doing a Berlin style filtration. The Berlin method advocates using living rock as the primary biological filter, Combined with strong lighting, turbulent water motion, and protein skimming.

Chorethorious
02/17/2008, 09:47 AM
HA! I wasn't saying that live sand is ultimately necessary... I was saying that live sand and live rock serve a purpose in the realm of saltwater tanks. They host a wide number of both good and possible bad bacteria's. And you realistically need one or the other... or best to have both. But either way.. you need something to grow the bacteria.

Also, you will find a vast number of BB folks who want to do a remote DSB after-the-fact. Food for though...