PDA

View Full Version : mysterious moving plate coral

giants4pc
02/16/2008, 12:16 PM
I've never seen anything like it. I've had this plate for about 3 years but I have always had it in a bare bottom setup. Since I added sand around 3 weeks ago, it literally moves around the sand bed. It never moved on the starboard. It has since inflated like a softball and never stays in the same spot where I put it. I never knew they could move. It's almost like there is something living inside it that's trying to get out. Very bizarre! Anyone ever hear of something like this before?

Mike O'Brien
02/16/2008, 12:29 PM
Yep, I was surprised when I first learned that as well.

Sk8r
02/16/2008, 12:31 PM
Lol! That's what healthy ones do! They're the only stony [cept maybe the tongue or slipper] that gets up and leaves when it spots a better current. Novices sometimes kill them by trying to set them on rock and it just rips their delicate tissues to shreds, because of course they don't like it and want to move.

sharuq1
02/16/2008, 01:00 PM
that is the coolest thing. Do they bother anything else or sting as they move about?

cloak
02/16/2008, 04:13 PM
If it's moving around, something might not be right. Lighting, flow, nutrition. Kind of like an anemone. It's searching for something.