PDA

View Full Version : Shadow of the shark

kar93
02/16/2008, 03:45 PM
has anybody seen Shadow of the Shark?
It really got me thinking about the way the oceans are being treated. Huge rays stuck i nets, sharks with all fins cut off just sat on the bottom of the ocean for weeks suffering and starving. It mentions Nurse Sharks being killed because people think they are a danger which everybody know they arent and is clearly proven when they swim through "shark gutter" which is like a steep valley filled with hundreds of nurse sharks which will just swim off fast or just pay no attention to the divers.

If you have seen it what was your opinions?

kar93
02/17/2008, 03:04 PM
anybody?

sniggir
03/11/2008, 12:05 PM
I havn't seen it but I have to agree that sharks are one of the most poorly and least understood creatures in the ocean... I love these giant roaming eating machines... they are just awsome, and completely misunderstood.

nimoryan
03/19/2008, 11:15 AM
Havn't seen it where canI find it???

nimoryan
03/19/2008, 11:15 AM
Havn't seen it where can I find it???

kar93
03/19/2008, 12:49 PM
here is a lnk to where u can buy it, I could only find an australian website that sold it but they do ship to the United States. Its definitely worth buying. Real eye opener.
http://chaos.com/product/australian_geographic_shadow_of_the_shark_443270_172592.html

edr42
03/31/2008, 05:31 AM
That's Ron & Valerie Taylor's work, two of the most influential figures in marine ecology in the world.
They filmed the shark sequences for Jaws (amongst other things), and have been filming underwater since the 60s. True living legends.

This movie is all about their dedication to the sea, and in particular to the sharks. They still dive, and were recently inducted into the international diving hall of fame.

I highly recommend you take a look at all of their work, it will change your view of the oceans.

kar93
03/31/2008, 05:32 AM
Yeah they do some amazing work. I never knew they film for jaws. Just that one programme really made me think.

chrisalmand
04/08/2008, 12:07 AM
Did you know in Japan they catch sharks, cut their fins off, then throw them back in the ocean to die.

edr42
04/08/2008, 12:34 AM
What you've described is shark finning, an illegal industry worth billions. It's based on the asian (mostly chinese, not japanese) demand for shark fin soup, another one of those supposedly magical cures for everything.
Shark finning is incredibly lucrative in terms of price per pound, which has made it an immense threat to shark populations all round the globe. To conserve space in the finning boats, the common practice is to remove the fins and throw the still living shark back. They then slowly starve to death over around 3 weeks, an incredibly horrific and wasteful practice.

This is an issue that is very close to the heart of Ron and Valerie Taylor, and you can see it in their films.

kar93
04/08/2008, 04:43 AM
I watched another one yesterday, it told you how they first got into it all, it actually started by them spear fishing and Valerie actually has a Moray eel friend called honey and she goes down there every year and Honey will play with her swim round her its amazing to watch.

kar93
04/08/2008, 08:07 AM
I just watched another, One part shows you round a part of the great barrier reef and it is beautiful there must be thousands of anthias there the life on the reef is just incredible. I cant really put it into words. I have to go there someday.

iron coral
04/08/2008, 10:17 AM
yeah they don't call it the great barrier reef for nothing. it is unfortunate when you hear that it's dying slowly.