PDA

View Full Version : alkalinity

boozerell
02/17/2008, 07:02 AM
I started using b-ionic two step, and when testing found my alkalinity was high at 5.9 meq/L. I have only been dosing with the calcium part of the two step, waiting for the alkalinity to come down. I've read the articles, which certainly helped my understanding, but still have questions. Appears to me, that it takes longer for the alkalinity levels to change, and was wondering how long it may take before I see it down to where I can dose with both parts again? It's been about a 2 weeks and I've not seen much change. I'm going to take a sample of water to the LFS to have them test it. (In case of user error.)

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2008, 07:34 AM
Actually, alkalinity changes faster than calcium, on a percentage basis. The ratio uses is always 18-20 ppm calcium for each 1 meq/L of alkalinity.

How did the alkalinity get that high? What salt mix? Are you topping off with tap water? Any other additives?

boozerell
02/17/2008, 07:44 AM
I made a stupid mistake. My pH dropped and I was worried about it. I now realize that alkalinity is more important than pH. I called the LFS and was told I could dose my alkalinity part of the two step more than the calcium. I did this and here we are. I use RO water and did a small water change when all this happened. Everything in the tank looks good.

boozerell
02/17/2008, 07:56 AM
Since alkalinity is suppose to change quickier than the calcium, is it because the coral are using the calcium that I'm seeing the opposite? What would be keeping the alkalinity up?

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2008, 08:20 AM
No, corals use calcium and alkalinity in that fixed ratio.

Have you added buffers?

boozerell
02/17/2008, 08:36 AM
No, I haven't added any buffers.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2008, 09:42 AM
I would just wait for the alk to drop, then resume dosing equal parts of both as necessary to maintain alkalinity.

What is your calcium level?

boozerell
02/17/2008, 10:22 AM
calcium is 400ppm. Thanks for the help.

Randy Holmes-Farley
02/17/2008, 10:37 AM
OK, I'd maintain calcium while the alk drops to 4 meq/L or less, then resume equal parts dosing. :)