PDA

View Full Version : polyfilter vs Ferric removers

j tavares
02/17/2008, 09:53 AM
does anyone know for sure w/o advertising hype how effective is polyfiter in removing phophates as they also remove organics, nh3,and are alot easier to use and change with color when exhausted. With skimming I would think they would pretty much do the intended job that we need them for .Your input would be appreciated as they have been around for years and always get great reviews in everything I have ever read!

grandp10
02/17/2008, 11:01 AM
tagging along.

grandp10
02/17/2008, 11:05 AM
How dark of brown color do you change yours at? I change mine when it is dark tan color, not sure if it can absorb more after being this dark.

j tavares
02/17/2008, 11:36 AM
I have found in marine tanks will change dark grey color after 2 weeks and in my 150 freshwater tank a deep brown.

trmiv
02/17/2008, 11:54 AM
I'd ask this in the Chemistry forum. From what I can remember in the past when this has been asked, the poly filters don't do much for removing phosphate

grandp10
02/17/2008, 12:07 PM
I use the 4"x8" polyfilters and cut them in half and only use the one half at a time in a 120 gal. sps tank. It still takes a good month for it to turn even remotely dark tan. Does this mean I have a low bioload? My phosphate as of now has stayed undetectable. I am also using a phosban reactor with a 250 ml. bottle of rowaphos in it. The media has not been changed for at least 5 months. I just change the polyfilter when it turns dark tan color. My nitrates however are at 20 ppm or so.

j tavares
02/17/2008, 02:15 PM
these are all good questions but I am starting to believe most media are very selective and so you need to use specific media to target specific toxins,organics,metals ,etc.