PDA

View Full Version : Help......need Help Quick

NewFish3
02/17/2008, 01:17 PM
Iam changing out the bioballs in my BioCube & putting in Live rubble rock. I was told by members here to also scrap the stock filter & put in a Chemipure bag & a Pureigen bag. My LFS gave me PURA COMPLETE & said this will do the same thing as the other two combined. I ran it under some water like it said & a ton of frown crap came out. I put it in the tank chamber & it clouded up the tank. I mean brown... so brown that you cant see in the tank.

Is this normal....... is it ok............Please help

Sk8r
02/17/2008, 01:25 PM
It's iron and carbon dust. You don't have any info in your sig line about your system contents or system age: fish, corals, what?
You didn't rinse it enough, clearly---or not clearly, as the case may be. I'm not fond of running carbon, myself, unless there's an actual emergency. The iron oxide in Phoslock, Phosban, etc, is very fragile and may dust considerably on being crushed. Get yourself or make yourself some sort of filter sock: you can rubber-band a piece of heavy filter material around the outflow of your pump or anywhere that you can guarantee a LOT of your water flows through it often. THe thicker the filter [1 micron would be ideal] the faster it will sop it up.
Prepare some tank-temp matching salt water in your quarantine tank and stand by to move any distressed fish or corals across: gill irritation is likely. Some blame hlle [true or false nobody knows] on exposure to carbon dust. Whatever the truth of that, your critters will not like this.