PDA

View Full Version : splitting BTA

cmejaf30
02/17/2008, 02:26 PM
Question in regards to the size of my BTA and when/if it will split. I've only had him for about a month or so now and he is doing GREAT! I am aggressively feeding it (3x a week with shrimp) in hopes of him growing and splitting. Well he has definately grown (total diameter is about 7" or so) compared to when I got him. I'm just wondering what kind of timeline I'm looking at when it comes to him splitting. Any experience on this? Thanks for all the input...

NewFish3
02/17/2008, 02:45 PM
My BTA was smaller then the size of a baseball when I got him. That was only 5 weeks ago. Now he spreads out to about 7 inches. Check him out, here is a link to a picture of him. I think I feed him too much.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/1/176870BioCube_14-4.jpg

NewFish3
02/17/2008, 02:48 PM
Oh ya....... I was told that there is no special time when they will split. sometimes they dont split.. Thats what I was told, not sure if its correct

Aquarist007
02/17/2008, 03:06 PM
I've had a rose tip anenome for 15 months--it never has split

fliynhi
02/17/2008, 04:01 PM
When I got mine in September, it was about the size of a golfball. It grew to about the same size everyone else has mentioned (7" or so) and just split Thursday night. I fed it a half silverside every three days or so. Now both halves are sitting side by side in the same spot as before. No telling if they will do it again or not.

NirvanaFan
02/17/2008, 04:16 PM
There is no general rule as to when they split. Sometimes they will get like 12-15 inches. Other times they will split at like 5 inches. There are ways to attempt to induce a split, but they don't always work.

demonsp
02/17/2008, 04:25 PM
Feeding alone isnt enough.Coral and inverts will multiply faster whene water quality is high and consistant.

NirvanaFan
02/17/2008, 04:30 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11871532#post11871532 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by demonsp
Feeding alone isnt enough.Coral and inverts will multiply faster whene water quality is high and consistant.

I don't believe that is entirely true...many people have had success in getting BTA to split by doing a large (~50%) water change. To me that's not being consistent. Also, feeding BTA every day, or every other day does definitely help them grow a lot faster which will let them reproduce more often.

I do agree that water quality should always be kept high though.

demonsp
02/17/2008, 04:35 PM
I agree. He was wanting to speed it up and this woould help. My bro got his to split in less then 1 yr but after they starting bothering all the other coral they both went.