PDA

View Full Version : Help>>>>>>>>help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reef70
02/17/2008, 05:29 PM
I just got home and found out I left my RODI running for five hours. It filters about 40 gal an hour. I have a 110 with a 40 gal sump.

Temp 58
Sal 1.013 if that
Fish are sluggish
coral....well you know how that goes....all closed
Mushrooms sliming

I am screwed......screwed

I have every darn heater in the tank as we speak.
I have dumped about enough salt to mix 50G in my sump
I added some salt to the main tank
Added an air stone to the main tank.....get some air in the water
Added some PH8.3 seachem ph-up stuff

What next.........and ideas short of drinking and watching my hobby go down the drain.

Temp of 58............all of the water had to be replaced 3x over

Will anything live............am I done?

Help please

Tang Salad
02/17/2008, 05:35 PM
DON'T add salt directly to display/sump water. Mix it elsewhere and pour it in. Get the temp up and slowly raise the salinitiy. And be prepared to remove corpses soon.

Mache62
02/17/2008, 05:36 PM
when this happened to me I made some concentrated salt water and added that back in slowly...I had the temp go down to about 74 though...I don't know what's going to happen when it goes to 58....that's a whole different problem.

good luck man

Tang Salad
02/17/2008, 05:37 PM
And hang in there! It's possible the fish will survive, as 1.013 is a survivable salinity. As for the corals, just wait and see.

Zucker26
02/17/2008, 05:41 PM
I don't know if this is smart, or even advisable, but I had a major temperature drop one day and started pulling out bowls of water and throwing them in the microwave to get the temperature back up. It took me a few hours, but if you only do it in small amounts you can bring the temp back up quicker than with just your heaters.

tkeracer619
02/17/2008, 05:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11872072#post11872072 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Zucker26
I don't know if this is smart, or even advisable, but I had a major temperature drop one day and started pulling out bowls of water and throwing them in the microwave to get the temperature back up. It took me a few hours, but if you only do it in small amounts you can bring the temp back up quicker than with just your heaters.

I just take freezer bags full of hot tap water in an emergency to bring the temps back up.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11872039#post11872039 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tang Salad
DON'T add salt directly to display/sump water. Mix it elsewhere and pour it in. Get the temp up and slowly raise the salinitiy. And be prepared to remove corpses soon.

If you need to raise the salinity DO NOT add directly to the tank. Pull some water out into a 5gal bucket, mix, let sit for few, then re- add to the tank.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11871997#post11871997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef70
It filters about 40 gal an hour. I

What kind of RO is this? My bet is it is broken. Most membranes do 75 gallons per day not 960 gallons per day. You might have the RO water going into the drain and the drain water going to the tank.

I would not do anything dramatic, the fish will be fine. You might have a cycle and some of the coral might not make it. Bringing the salinity up too fast will only cause more stress.

Reef70
02/17/2008, 06:07 PM
OK..sal was at 1.008 now it is 1.012
temp 63

Sk8r
02/17/2008, 06:15 PM
Think of this as the most extensive 'acclimation' you are likely to undertake.
If your local store is not closed, get more salt if needful: be sure you don't run out.
You might additionally set up your qt tank just in case.

Ordinarily when you have a disaster like this you let topoff solve it by topping off with salt water. And you may want to arrange that and put fans on your tank to encourage evaporation.

If it's of any comfort, however, the ocean during tropical rains has some extreme near-surface salinity incidents: mobile creatures are accustomed to be able to dive to greater depth [and salinity], and fixed ones are actually tougher in this regard than might seem likely---evolutionarily they have had to be.

Don't get in a huge hurry: don't overdo the pace, but keep going. Remember that tissues of fish and corals have now somewhat adjusted to this current situation: everything that is still alive is going to have to adjust back, and this takes time to avoid osmotic pressure rupture of tissues including fishy kidneys and blood vessels and coral membranes. Do not exceed the speed [rate of change] at which the incident happened, would be my advice.

mfp4073
02/17/2008, 06:49 PM
also, instead of making more water and dumping what you have, pull water out and up mix the salt in it then replace it.

kaiser
02/17/2008, 07:19 PM
^^^ that's it and warm it up too while you are at it.

tkeracer619
02/18/2008, 09:40 AM
If you missed my RO comment, I think your RO is broken. NO RO we use does 40 gallons per hour...

Should look into that.

goldmaniac
02/18/2008, 09:50 AM
rather than microwaving water to warm it up, i'd go out and buy $40 of heaters and toss them in. i have a little more than your volume, and a couple 300w heaters can do magic

warm up the house, too

but it may all be too late for any of this.

FYI I've found that Bangaii cardinalfish are very temp sensitive to cold. hope you didn't lose any. Most other fish should be ok. ****ed, but ok.

as for the corals... sorry.

yeah, check your RO/DI. no hobby-level RO/DI makes 30-40gal per hour. Mine is rated at 35/day.

widmer
02/18/2008, 09:54 AM
Yea that was my first reaction too, there's no way it filters 40 GPD. Get that RO unit checked out before you touch the aquarium. I'm j/k do it after. Good luck.

madreef_7K
02/18/2008, 09:56 AM
Yeh! I think your RO system is broken for sure! I had a similar prolem where my ro was putting out ~20g/h (I didn't know about ro systems that much back then!) and when I checked it usint TDS meter, sure enough, the membrane was no longer good.

Also, I agree with the poster who suggested taking tank water out, dissolving more salt in it and putting it back in.

reptilemanmark
02/18/2008, 10:02 AM
[QUOTE]<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11871997#post11871997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Reef70
[B]I just got home and found out I left my RODI running for five hours. It filters about 40 gal an hour. I have a 110 with a 40 gal sump.

Where did all the extra water go? I`m confused how much extra water was added to the system? Did the valve fail or is this a manual thing?

sk8rreefgeek
02/18/2008, 10:42 AM
I would have just taken everything to my LFS. They're cool like that. I think an extra long acclimation to a healthy tank would have been your best bet

sorry to hear that tho

Reef70
02/18/2008, 11:02 AM
Yes......my RO/DI was in my sump....wanted to do a quick top off one night. I got lazy and left it in the sump. Well....I had the wrong end in my sump. The outlet end....pumped out about 40 gal per hour...if that. The other end was the one I should have used for the filtered water.

Well....what happened to the water.....I have a fish room with a step down into the tank area. It is a 6" deep x three feet wide x 10 feet long area. It also has a hole 3" in case I have some water issues. Dam thing worked last night.....I would have had a sh&t mess if I did not have that setup.

My tank is getting better.....sal 1.019 Temp 78
That sure beats 58.......you have no idea....I just wanted to call my buds and tell them to take my system and goods.

But that is not the case......I knew when I stared this hobby that from time to time issues might arise. (Not this type of crap) It is my own fault.

Get this........all of my fish lived. Don't ask me how.....but they did. corals...well.....we will see.

If I wanted to make any changes.....rock work....sump reconfig....I can do so in a week. I plan to give the tank a week to get up to speed. I don't know if I will cycle again....but it is a good chance. In that case I will wait longer before making any changes.

As for the RO/DI........it will be sitting at the Sommerset land fill. I plan on purchasing a Kent Marine RO unit.

Peace all.......thanks for the info and help.

SCIFI_3D_zoo
02/18/2008, 11:06 AM
I think you'll have some good survivability. Let us know what happens. I know you don't want to hear this now but... DAMN why do people do that?? They hook up huge holding tanks, RO/DI, or other water sources to their tanks via ATO's. It's a really bad idea and I just read about another similar story at reefs.org.

rbursek
02/18/2008, 11:07 AM
Why replace the unit? RoDi is a better set up then just Ro.

goldmaniac
02/18/2008, 11:18 AM
can we get a list of your fish?

i'm going to put that list under the category "super-fish"

heh heh

Reef70
02/18/2008, 03:22 PM
Yes......my RO/DI was in my sump....wanted to do a quick top off one night. I got lazy and left it in the sump. Well....I had the wrong end in my sump. The outlet end....pumped out about 40 gal per hour...if that. The other end was the one I should have used for the filtered water.

Well....what happened to the water.....I have a fish room with a step down into the tank area. It is a 6" deep x three feet wide x 10 feet long area. It also has a hole 3" in case I have some water issues. Dam thing worked last night.....I would have had a sh&t mess if I did not have that setup.

My tank is getting better.....sal 1.019 Temp 78
That sure beats 58.......you have no idea....I just wanted to call my buds and tell them to take my system and goods.

But that is not the case......I knew when I stared this hobby that from time to time issues might arise. (Not this type of crap) It is my own fault.

Get this........all of my fish lived. Don't ask me how.....but they did. corals...well.....we will see.

If I wanted to make any changes.....rock work....sump reconfig....I can do so in a week. I plan to give the tank a week to get up to speed. I don't know if I will cycle again....but it is a good chance. In that case I will wait longer before making any changes.

As for the RO/DI........it will be sitting at the Sommerset land fill. I plan on purchasing a Kent Marine RO unit.

Peace all.......thanks for the info and help.