PDA

View Full Version : Preventing Microbial Growth

SantaMonica
02/18/2008, 12:08 AM
I need to select an RODI system for infrequent use. My setup will be a continuous water change that changes one gal per day on a 90 system. The RODI will be filling up a 30 gal brute container once a month; salt will then be mixed, and then the automatic part will slowly use that water over the next 30 days.

Problem is, I've read about microbial fouling of the membrane if the RODI is not used more than once per week. Well, I can't use it once a week, because once the 30 gal is made and the salt is mixed, it must emptied before I make a new batch (in 30 days).

So, will my system work with one of your units?

02/19/2008, 07:51 AM
It will work. All you have to do is flush off the membrane 1 minute per day of inactivity before you make RODI water. All of our units are equipped with a flush valve.

SantaMonica
02/19/2008, 12:07 PM
So for once-a-month, I would flush for 30 minutes, and that would remove any bacteria fouling?

02/19/2008, 12:36 PM
Yes, exactly. If you get a unit with a DI bypass valve, you can flush the membrane off at any time; even if you're not making water. You don't have to get the DI bypass though. Flushing for 1/2 an hour every month will be fine.