PDA

View Full Version : basic questions about dogface puffer diet

ryanpal
02/18/2008, 08:46 AM
hey gang,

i've been told a few things about a dogface puffers diet, that i figured i would mention here for some feedback.

1. the LFS i purchased the puffer from mentioned he used to feed the puffer once in the morning and once at night. usually a silverslide and something else.

2. he also mentioned he would feed hard pellets once in a while so that the puffers teeth wouldn't become overgrown so that he would starve to death.

i'd like to know if (1) i have to feed 2 times a day, if not necessary, how often? (2) is feeding silverslides and krill enough to keep the puffers fish filed down or do i need something else as well?

ledford1
02/18/2008, 09:15 AM
Smaller, multiple feedings each day is usually the better way to go, but once a day is fine.

Frozen meaty foods are my fish's choice. Brine, mysis, krill, cyclops, Marine Cuisine, Formula One, Formula Two, etc - he goes for most anything. The only foods that I have run across that he doesn't care for are squid and Life Reef's frozen carnivore food.

My Dogface also enjoys his veggies though. When hanging various types of seaweed for the tangs, I learned that he loves it just as much.

As for pellets, my Dogface has never shown any interest in any type of pellet.

And the concern for your puffer's teeth, don't worry too much. Offering some frozen foods straight from the freezer could help him find something nutritious to chew on, but he should be able to find ways. Once in awhile, I'll notice large chips in my Dogface's teeth where he's been chewing on something in the tank, often a rock. They're very smart fish. Just keep an eye on the teeth to be sure though, and if they seem to be getting too large, then you may need to take more serious action.

luke33
02/18/2008, 09:16 AM
You don't even have to feed him every day. They are glutton's and will eat and eat and eat. I fed mine once a day. Give him a good selection of krill, shrimp, squid, silversides and an occasional clam, with shell for him to wear down his teeth. The DFP is probably the least coral friendly fish i've ever seen. Green star polyps were the only thing he didn't touch.

luke33
02/18/2008, 09:20 AM
Like ledford said, not to worry to much about the teeth thing. MIne would just bite my lr when he needed to grind. Also, watch out when you have your hand in the tank. They have very powerful jaws. I had my arm in the tank and he decided he would give me a nibble. Well, he took a nice fingernail sized piece out of my arm. It was not cool. If you have little kids, watch them as they can take off finger tips easily.

ryanpal
02/18/2008, 09:40 AM
great responses guys...thanks a bunch!

Roy G. Biv
02/18/2008, 11:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11876462#post11876462 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryanpal
2. he also mentioned he would feed hard pellets once in a while so that the puffers teeth wouldn't become overgrown so that he would starve to death.

My friend had a dogface puffer and did just that. His teeth grew so much that he couldnt eat. When I had a dogface puffer, I used to buy 1 clam from the supermarket once a week when grocery shopping. When I put it in the tank, I smashed a corner of the clam on a rock to crack it a little just to get it started. That puffer would spend all day long chewing on that clam shell. :)

spockthepuffer
02/18/2008, 11:41 AM
I agree with Pmolan, feed him hard shelled foots like mussles and clams. If he it still small you can break it up for him but when he gets big he'll just crunch up the whole thing.

Also, feeding fish frozen food that hasn't been thawed is not healthy at all. You should always thaw food out in tank water and vitamins. Frozen food isn't good for their insides, think about how we feel when we drink something like a slushie and get a brainfreeze, same thing will happen with fish.

Here is a good article on feeding puffers...
http://www.thepufferforum.com/forum/library/feeding/feeding-your-puffers/

kaiser
02/18/2008, 11:58 AM
^^ great info, thanks

ryanpal
02/18/2008, 01:24 PM
yep that was my concern about feeling frozen food. i always thaw my frozen food.

as far as the clam shell. didn't know that i could just feed him food from the supermarket.

when you say he'd spend all day on that shell does he actually eat bits of it?

Roy G. Biv
02/18/2008, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11878607#post11878607 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ryanpal
when you say he'd spend all day on that shell does he actually eat bits of it?
I dont know that he eats the shell, he used to chomp at that thing until he got to the clam inside.

Also you can buy 3 at a time and keep 2 in the sump.. The water is warmer than what they are used to and only come out a little bit. But the live.

ryanpal
02/19/2008, 09:13 AM
update: i tossed in a smash (more than just a corner accidently) clam shell. seems he has no interest (yet)

how can he like flake food over a nice juicy clam... ;)

ryanpal
02/20/2008, 03:53 PM
hmm 2 days and he still didn't go for the clam.

is it bad to leave it in there? my worry is it might rot or something.

how long should i leave it in before taking it out? also, what are some tricks i should do in order to get him to start eating it?

katpurdy
02/20/2008, 04:15 PM
a mature puffer shouldn't be fed more than 3 times a week...they have a very slow metabolism and need time to digest. They are nocturnal, so if you are feeding with the lights on, chances are, the puffer didn't see where the food was dropped. There is also a chance the clam is empty...I have run across this many times feeding my puffer. I feed him frozen shell on prawn, muscle, clam, or oyster every 2-3 days and 2-3 at a time...

katpurdy
02/20/2008, 04:17 PM
[http://pic1.picturetrail.com/VOL1157/3883040/9450427/265507095.jpg

ryanpal
02/20/2008, 08:45 PM
how bout that. i was told to feed him once in the morn and once at night.

he seems to see the food easily when i feed blood worms, mysis, flake, krill, silverslides etc. to the other fish.

i noticed half the clam was eating (did i mention i smashed it a little more than the corner? :))

thanks for the replies

Roy G. Biv
02/20/2008, 08:52 PM
You know, they like to eat maze brain corals if you have any extra :)

ryanpal
02/26/2008, 11:50 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11899679#post11899679 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Pmolan
You know, they like to eat maze brain corals if you have any extra :)

good stuff.

i let some new member who's just getting started get it. i'm still new myself but i figured what the hell

sliggy382
01/02/2013, 07:38 PM
My puffer eats frozen clams I buy from the grocery store. I open them for him and he eats away. I put one in at night and by the next morning the whole shell is cleaned.
He also likes to eat brine shrimp and krill. But he especially likes his clams. LOL