PDA

View Full Version : Anemone ID

olaf
02/18/2008, 09:08 AM
How do I ID an anemone between a Bulb Tip and a Long Tentacle? Some of the images I have seen look very similar

Toddrtrex
02/18/2008, 09:19 AM
The key difference will be on the underside of the oral disc. On LTAs there will be little bumps (( called vernicles -- and I know I spelled that wrong )). A BTA will be smooth.

Here is a picture of what they look like (( ignore the hole in the bottom of the foot. ))

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y189/toddrtrex/GLTA5_20.jpg

olaf
02/18/2008, 09:57 AM
The ones I have are smooth. I will take a picture... and post in a sec.

I have a couple of "Rock Anemones" that have those same bumps on their underside. Bluesih white bumps against graysih purple. All the tentacles are branched larger towards the base and smaller at the tip.

olaf
02/18/2008, 10:16 AM
http://www.ecoaquatica.com/images/02-18-08_1054.jpg
http://www.ecoaquatica.com/images/02-18-08_1055.jpg
http://www.ecoaquatica.com/images/02-18-08_1056.jpg

garygb
02/18/2008, 11:28 AM
Yeah, you have a BTA there.

GSMguy
02/18/2008, 11:42 AM
Bubble tip

Hey Todd did that heal?

Toddrtrex
02/18/2008, 12:20 PM
GSM -- unfortunately it never did heal. And it was a shame too, was a really great looking one.

olaf
02/22/2008, 09:36 AM
Do these BTA split often?
Where could I possibly sell these off-spring? Besides here, I can't post anything for sale, since I am not seasoned enough on this site/forum.
The parent was purchased for $60 at 3" at the LFS which is now out-of-business. There are no other LFS in a 50+ miles area.

garygb
02/22/2008, 11:05 AM
There is a forum further down in the list where tank-bred corals etc. can be sold.

olaf
02/22/2008, 11:22 AM
I can't post anything here on Reef Central for sale, since I haven't contributed enough to the forum and I hadn't been on here in a long time so I lost all of my time. In other words I am considered a newbie again. LOL
So, meanwhile, I have them posted on another forum site. and when 90 days and many postings later, I will then post them for sale here on Reef Central.
They are in hospital aquariums where they will be fine for a long time.
I do regular water changes (w/ boxed ocean water) and they have individual care now. Other hospital tanks have a squirrelfish and a PERFECT Yellow Tang - show quality. Both I got from a client that past away (93yrs). They have been in a hospital aquarium for over a year now. They are buds - hang together.

garygb
02/22/2008, 03:03 PM
In answer to your question regarding the frequency of splitting, it seems to depend on the anemone and also on conditions. Some BTA's seem to clone more frequently than others regardless of conditions, and most will clone when some stressful event occurs. If you research, you will find articles on ways that people prep their anemones to elicit assexual reproduction. For instance, no water changes for weeks, regular feeding every few days for a couple of weeks leading up to the water change, and then a 50% water change.

I personally just let them clone when they will.

olaf
02/22/2008, 03:19 PM
This just happened when it wanted. Everything is on a tight schedule and nothing changes.
This aquarium is at a clients business. Lights are on a timer feeding happens every business day at the same time. No feedings on weekends. Maintenance on every Sunday.

Actually not enough light on the aquarium but soon will be upgraded. At the moment there is only 3 of the four bulbs working and those three are 65WATT (2 - 10K and 1 - Actinic).
Upgrading to 4 - 96WATT bulbs. This will give the aquarium 3.7 WATTS per gallon. Before the forth bulb burned out 2.47 WATT per gallon after the bulb burned out 1.85 WATTS.
Sorta wondering what will happen with the light increase. Hopefully there won't be "light shock".

garygb
02/22/2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, a dramatic change can cause cloning OR no change at all. They just naturally do their thing.

olaf
02/22/2008, 04:36 PM
In this aquarium there is also a Rose Bulb Anemone It has lost its brightest color within the last few weeks. Only a few of the tentacles still have color. What would do this? I was told that it is probably the lack of light.

dc
02/22/2008, 04:50 PM
Olaf you need to read your pm's.