PDA

View Full Version : Sad clown

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 09:34 AM
I think my clown might be sad or stessed. I haven't seen him sleeping, but hes been in my tank for two days. Maybe he's sad because he came from a tank with like 20 now he's alone I wanted to get another clown anyways.

tkeracer619
02/18/2008, 09:44 AM
They swim when they sleep. If its just hanging out in the open, that is normal. Might try to get it a big mushroom to host. Your tank is too young for an anemone.

lakwriter
02/18/2008, 09:55 AM
Clowns don't HAVE to be kept with a mate. What kind do you have? If the fish has only been in there a few days, he might just be getting used to his new surroundings. Is he eating? You might try soaking the food in fresh garlic to stimulate eating so the clown gets stronger.

Is this the only fish in the tank?

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 10:16 AM
He's the only fish, hes eating everything I put in there. I'm sure hes an ocellaris. I kinda want him to host my torch coral.

lakwriter
02/18/2008, 10:20 AM
Give him some time. If you have really intense lighting, you might try decreasing it or turning off the lights for a few days just so the environment isn't so intense.

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 10:39 AM
well he isn't hideing or anything, I just didn't know they swam when they slept

SCIFI_3D_zoo
02/18/2008, 12:00 PM
Fish don't know what sad is... except for maybe some mammals, dolphins, etc. So don't get too worried. But you can make it a healthier environment. Clowns in pairs will fight unless they are mated. So don't do that. Also... frog spawn or other similar lps' and softies won't do well with a clown rubbing on it all the time. I've actually had good success with a branching finger leather.

IndyReefMan
02/18/2008, 12:05 PM
My Clown Fish did the same thing when I first put him in my tank. For several months he was the only fish that didn't appear to sleep. He was always swimming. He sleeps now. He likes to lay on top of one of my large Feather Dusters. He's been in my tank for almost four years now.

SCIFI_3D_zoo
02/18/2008, 12:17 PM
Here's a pic to my clown host.

http://www.scifi3d.com/StaffUpload/NewTank/picture%20001.jpg

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 01:09 PM
So, If I added a smaller clown now then they won't be compatable?

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 01:11 PM
I wasn't being serious when I said I though he was sad just concerned that something was wrong.

timthetoolman
02/18/2008, 01:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11877894#post11877894 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by SCIFI_3D_zoo
Clowns in pairs will fight unless they are mated. So don't do that.
In my experience I haven't seen that. You have to make sure that you don't put two females together. If it's an Ocellaris just get a juvenile and put in with the other one. Do you know if the probability exists that the one you have is male, female or a juvenile?
The will bicker at first to establish dominance but get a small juvenile and the fighting will be over quick.
I've had Ocellaris for 7 years and just introduced another one to the existing female and they are doing fine.

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 01:33 PM
I'm guessing that its a female because it was the one of the two large clowns in the tank, is there any sure method to determine?

timthetoolman
02/18/2008, 01:36 PM
No there is not any way I know of telling. If they were with other clowns it is probably a juvenile but if you get a juvi you won't have a problem especially if it's smaller.
Was this a local fish store? Were there other clowns in the tank with the two you saw, and if not how long were they alone?

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 01:40 PM
Yes, it was at a lfs. Those two were with several small clowns but they seemed to be the largest. Next week is probably when I'd go down and get one. Maybe something they can host too. =)

kzooreefer
02/18/2008, 01:46 PM
what i have always been told for clowns is that it is best to either buy a single one or an already mated pair. don't buy two seperate ones expecting them to form a bond as they are more likely to attack each other than not. my one oscellaris has bonded with my yellow tail damsel so go figure.

sk8rreefgeek
02/18/2008, 01:53 PM
I had my blk/white for over 6 months before adding the other perc. they get along great, I'm hoping they'll mate

Patrick12
02/18/2008, 02:26 PM
If you do add another clown, add one that is small and only add one.

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 02:36 PM
Yeah, I only wanted 2 anways. I'm not sure what else I want in the tank though. I've though about a Fridmani Dottyback and just filling the rest with corals of all sorts. I've heard that sps dont mix well with fast growing corals, like zoos. I have a povona and a torch now. I'll try to get some pics.

timthetoolman
02/18/2008, 03:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11879135#post11879135 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Patrick12
If you do add another clown, add one that is small and only add one.
Exactly, get a smaller one, they will bully each other around but should figure out who is stronger and gets to be the female.
I would hold of on hosting anemones. Joyce Wilkerson's book on clowns is very informative and I suggest it to anyone wanting to keep clowns.
They will 'hang out' with other fish just as mine did with the Scopas Tang but she dropped him like a bad habbit when I put in the other clown.
A word of warning if you're not use to mating clown behavior, their mating rituals often spark fear of a dying or sick fish but it's just their way. The twitching and turning on their sides and bobbing up and down are normal.
The prefered method of some clown keepers is to let one juvi pick their spot in the tank and get use to it and then add another juvi that is smaller because he will usually submit without any fighting unless the gender transformation to female has begun.

timthetoolman
02/18/2008, 03:31 PM
My female has been alone with the tang for 3 years and I introduced a new juvi about 3 weeks ago. I believe he has already started the transformation to a male and began cleaning and 'dry runs' on the small 3 x 3 floor tile I placed in their sleeping area which is WAY sooner than I expected but because of their size difference, age, and tank familiarity with the female, there was 0 fighting. It's like they were old friends which was totally unexpected too but very reasonable concidering the circumstances.

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 03:38 PM
By a host I wasn't speaking about an anenome just a coral they will host untill the tank is older, if I do get one I'm not sure yet.

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 05:00 PM
Here's a few pics
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/DragonRageFlame/28g%20JBJ%20HQI/DSC00322.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/DragonRageFlame/28g%20JBJ%20HQI/DSC00323.jpg
http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y299/DragonRageFlame/28g%20JBJ%20HQI/DSC00328.jpg
Forgot to turn my powerheads off, oh well.

DragonRage
02/18/2008, 05:01 PM
It's still a little messy (algea and just after eating)

timthetoolman
02/19/2008, 01:17 PM
You will get algae for the first year till it balances out. You'll also see the small critters come and go until it matures. It's kind of like your tank tries out a bunch of stuff and settles on what it likes.
I like what you did with the rocks, is that a cave with frog spawn?
I guess your comment about him being sad is translated into she is designed to reproduce and without a male she may act differently, mine did without a mate. She's a lot more active now.

DragonRage
02/19/2008, 02:15 PM
It's a Torch Coral, it's alot greener especially the tips. You can't really see in the pics but under the top rock is a large opening, you can see inside the rock from all angles.