PDA

View Full Version : Where oh where did my RB go?

NanoReefWanabe
02/18/2008, 09:45 AM
well like it says...i used to have a tricolour acro...showing zero signs of growth...zero signs of any significan colour...and zero signs of polyps...

theni seen the little yellow buggers blow up to plague proportions on it..then watched as they hopped over to my blue tip stag...then onto my A. hummilis (sp)...

now...i cant see any of them and the tricolour has made a near full recovery in what seem like less then a week...beautiful pink and blue starting to pop again....huge nice clearish white polyps, and finally some signs of tissue growth onto the plug...same for both the blue tip and the hummilis..

where did the redbugs go?

they didnt run out of food....i havent changed anything or done any treatments...there is also two birdsnests a pink and a green, and a green and yellow millie they could have feasted on had the smoothies died...but now everything is flourishing...

anyone ever have this happen?

i assume they will come back...but i am just wondering where did they go...

reefkoi
02/18/2008, 09:53 AM
They are probably busy re-enforcing the troops for a second wave.
Seriously though maybe you just aren't seeing them, it would be nice but I don't think they die of anything! you could have inadvertently done something that killed them, if so figure out what it was!
C

NanoReefWanabe
02/18/2008, 12:15 PM
i wish i did something...

but i dont see any...the tricolour had turnd to the palest of ugly yellows...and is now a vibrant blue and i can see hints of pink and purple aswell...

it literally looked like the coral was going to get up an walk away there was soo many on it before..

i am sure i havent seen the last of them...

but perhaps the talk is true that they are simply feeding on something else on the coral and once that supply is gone they do indeed die off..

i just see it now people buying redbugs to combat AEFW...

i never saw any tissue loss on any of my arcos that i couldnt connect directly to ALK issue, so i dont think i had the AEFW...but perhaps the redbugs were eating something other then the coral...A guy can hope cant he..

shred5
02/18/2008, 01:19 PM
Possible something in the tank decided they tasted good...

Dave

volcom69
02/18/2008, 08:52 PM
What fish do u thing eats them do u really think anything would eat them.

mixed_reefer
02/18/2008, 09:28 PM
I witnessed something similar today in a buddys tank.
Last time i went there it was infested, they were crawling all over all kinds of corals. Today i go visit him and i was struggling to find some, he said they just declined and he did nothing.
While i did find a few in his 500g+ sps dominated tank, it was nothing like it was the last time i was there. Hes got the same fish in there as before and according to him the only thing that changed is hes running his alk just a bit lower.

twon8
02/18/2008, 10:06 PM
i would imagine after some period of time a lack of genetic diversity might lead to a decline in numbers.

Bax
02/19/2008, 10:58 AM
I've been noticing something simlar.

I've been removing corals and dipping in interceptor to control the RBs. I am palnning to remove all hermits and my fire shrimp and treat the tank. But lately, I have not dipped as they just aren't there in the numbers I have previously seen. Also, many of my corals are attaching to rockwork and it's getting more difficult to pull them out.

I am still going to tret the tank, I just have to trap out the fire shrimp

NanoReefWanabe
02/19/2008, 07:39 PM
i was going to treat the tank...but now i fear they are eating something far more damaging then the redbugs themselves...

i think i have seen 1 in the last four days...

i have only had them for about 2 months now...

so i think i am going to hold off for another month...if they come back i guess i will treat them....

the only thing that really bothers me is i have a pile of frags to sell...that are really cluttering up my tank...but there is no way i could sell these to people knowing these little buggers are in my tank...