PDA

View Full Version : Is lugols Iodine good for sps!

madreef_7K
02/18/2008, 10:29 AM
Please post your experience, opinoins and comments.

Thanks

chica83
02/18/2008, 10:49 AM
i have used it before and it did its job.

madreef_7K
02/18/2008, 01:32 PM
anyone else!

And Chica How often and how much do you dose? Also what sort of changes you saw in your sps?

Thanks

Genetics
02/18/2008, 01:42 PM
madreef there are articles addressing the trace elements found in aquariums. Iodide in particular seems the most useful form but hasn't been studied in great detail within SPS. High levels of iodide have been seen in macroalgaes and soft corals. Most note that iodine is not an essential addition as in aquariums it seems to run higher than normal seawater.

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2004-05/rhf/index.php

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

madreef_7K
02/18/2008, 05:48 PM
Tx genetics!

I did check out the articales. I wanted to hear from people who dose lugol Iodine. There are a few tank of the months where the owners clamined they add 10 to 15 drops of lugol's iodine. I would like to hear from other members who DO use lugol solution and what sort of effect it has on their corals (softies, LPS and SPS).

Bio-nut
02/18/2008, 06:27 PM
I dose lugols, 6 drops /week in a 100 gallons system. I didn't notice a difference until I ran out and didn't dose for 4 weeks. With out the Iodine I saw less poly extension and a slight reduction in the red and green coloration on some of lps and most of my Lps. This of course could be attributed to a numbe of things but once I stated to dose again the polys and color slowly came back!

Hope this is of some help.

madreef_7K
02/18/2008, 07:11 PM
tx Bio-net!

It sure helps :) I am seeing the same results but another reefer told me that lugols iodine is toxic to reef. That's the reason I started this thread.

This exactly the info I am looking for! Directly from the users of lugols iodine.

thanks again. Anyone else? :)

mclaman
02/18/2008, 07:40 PM
I bought Logol's originally to treat zoo eating nudi's and it worked great. Once I ran out of my Iodine supplemenet, I started adding about 6 drops/week of Lugol's in my 150g. I think I read that Iodine acts kind of like sunscreen for corals. I have not had any problems since I started using it.

CUNAReefer
02/18/2008, 10:06 PM
LOL. Didn't trust me huh?

CUNAReefer
02/18/2008, 10:13 PM
Here ya go upinder

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/mar2003/chem.htm

All the iodine/iodide I need is supplemented through bi-weekly water changes.

SunnyX
02/18/2008, 10:30 PM
10 drops a week here. :D

glassbox-design
02/18/2008, 10:31 PM
1 drop a day of potassium iodide solution here

jackson6745
02/18/2008, 11:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11877373#post11877373 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chica83
i have used it before and it did its job.

What is it's job?

CUNAReefer
02/18/2008, 11:22 PM
Ok, I may offend a few people here, but here goes...

WHY DO YOU THINK YOU DOSE IDODINE/IODIDE?

IF EVERYONE JUMPED OFF A BRIDGE WOULD YOU DO IT TOO?

Countless reefers dose supplements and have no idea why, except that they think it is good. Why would you dose a supplement that is also used as to KILL inverts prior to placing a new coral in the tank? I told Madreef not to use Iodine because I thought it was toxic, and I stand by my statements. Until I see proven evidence that iodine levels above those caused by frequent water changes is actually beneficial to a contained reef enviroment, I will continue to stress my opinion that lugols is a big waste of money (unless you know exactly what you dose it for). Are you offended yet?

Sorry,
J

madreef_7K
02/18/2008, 11:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11883322#post11883322 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CUNAReefer
LOL. Didn't trust me huh?

Oh!! J! :)

I do trust you! Infact most of the corals (sps) in my tanks are frags from your tank and by god they are doing mighty fine. So as far trust goes, I'll put anything from your tank into mine :) .

After I had discussion with you about potassium and iodide! I researched this my self and found a significant number of people using it. So I am just trying to collect some opinions. Thats all!:cool:

Mini Me6
02/18/2008, 11:50 PM
CUNA---- your statement should not offend anyone.

Your 100% correct in your statement.

Do not add anything to your aquarium until you are exactly sure of:
1) the element that is needed in your aqaurium.
2) the quantity needed to raise it to a desirable level.

Only add what you measured that is a deficiency within your tank.

In REEFCARE, there is no PRO-ACTIVE approach. If your parameters are on target with what you are currently doing, don't add elements assuming that you will eventually need it in the future.

ONLY ADD WHAT YOU KNOW IS NEEDED. You must take measurements before and after your additions.

Please keep a log of what of your doing and the outcome. your log should be over a period of weeks and NOT hours or days. depending on size, many additives will take longer to show the negative effect.

Justin74
02/19/2008, 01:45 PM
CUNAReefer, mini Me6: Im right there with you guys. You will find countless numbers of people who use it, especially if you hang out long enough. Iodine is a disinfectant, pure and simple. It's not anything else.

One of the few things that still remain popular in this hobby today soley by word of mouth and NOT by any true substantiated data.

It does not promote growth. It does not improve polyp extension. It does not kill pests such zoa eating nudis. It does not improve coral health or color. Period.

-Justin

Genetics
02/19/2008, 02:23 PM
Nice summation Justin. I agree. There is little benefit above what you achieve with levels from your normal saltwater. Iodine is also a disinfectant but I'm assuming when people talk about iodine they are talking about iodide and just neglect the difference in spelling and function.

Personally, I would use your money on a test kit to measure other parameters of your tank and not bother with buying iodide for addition to your tank.

SimilanRocks
02/19/2008, 02:54 PM
Should I be considering dosing iodine if I have a lot of xenia?
What's the effect to SPS when iodine is too low?

madreef_7K
02/19/2008, 04:04 PM
OK guys, I am here just collecting opinions. Not advocating add or do not add lugols iodine :)

Here is what I saw in RC tank of the month:

Oct03: Robie Sayan's (ROBZ) Reef Aquarium

"Weekly chores include cleaning the skimmer cup and adding Kent Marine's strontium and Lugol's solution"

Nov 06: Menard Villaber's (menard) Reef Aquarium

Additionally, I add Lugol's iodine solution every couple of weeks.

Sept07: Mike Leonard's (acropora nut) Reef Aquarium

Filter bags are cleaned and treated weekly, along with the addition of Kent Marine Strontium and Kent Marine Lugol’s solution.

Anyway these were a few I found and I know for sure there are more there (just ran out of patience to read 'em!

Sooooo.... I might want to think some of these folks are doing the things in right way and hence their tanks are TOTM!!! correct me if I am wrong! (and yes, I DON'T know what lugol solution does to the tank parameters). Like you all, I never, never add any additional exteral chemicals to my tank. I think Kalk wasser and Ca reactor provides enough support for growth.

Just thought I might want to clerify why I started this thread.

glassbox-design
02/19/2008, 04:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11887540#post11887540 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
It does not improve coral health or color. Period.

maybe you could tell my corals that? i tried but they dont seem to listen.

Justin74
02/19/2008, 07:14 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11888980#post11888980 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
maybe you could tell my corals that? i tried but they dont seem to listen.

Put the Lugols down for a couple months, and I'll let you tell me all about it! :D

-Justin

madreef_7K
02/19/2008, 07:20 PM
Just found one more....

Jan07: Alberto Santilli's Reef Aquarium-
A Reef from Rome

The only products actually used are: Tropic Marin brand Iodine and Strontium, and "pappone" (the Blu Coral method's food) every two days in conjunction with amino acids and omega 3 fatty acids.

glassbox-design
02/19/2008, 07:43 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11890232#post11890232 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Justin74
Put the Lugols down for a couple months, and I'll let you tell me all about it! :D

-Justin

i have, purples and dark blues lost their brilliance without it. in low nutrient systems trace elements are extremely important and influential on coloration...jmo.

Justin74
02/19/2008, 09:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11890466#post11890466 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Flint&Eric
i have, purples and dark blues lost their brilliance without it. in low nutrient systems trace elements are extremely important and influential on coloration...jmo.

So for a couple months you kept your tanks chemistry exactly the same as your previous observation of brilliant colors as a controll changing nothing different except the subtraction of iodine? Including all water changes, feeding , additives done precisely the same?

To do this would mean that your tank would have to be stuck in a state of frozen animation. Well, in a way :rolleyes: The water chemistry would be nearly impossible to mimick all the day to day occurances that led up to the brilliant colors you witnessed. Not to mention the equipment you used would have to have not altered in the slightest, including flow, bulb life, and mechanincal and/or bio filtration could not have been altered to make such a claim. All to easy to sway populations of people on circumstances and coincidences coming from people such as yourself that obviously have success at reefkeeping along with the numbered list of other tank of the months. But unfortunately all it is is coincidence, circumstances and personal observations. Does someone need to make a list of people who have breathtaking tanks that dont and never will use iodine? I dont think so ;)

I think we can all agree that there are alot of assumptions and myths besides the very real use and applications appropriate for use in reefkeeping regarding iodine(/dide). Just think it's high time we start debunking as much of it as we can. I do however respect your opinion f&e :)

Am I up to 6 cents now??:lol:

-Justin

glassbox-design
02/19/2008, 09:56 PM
it's well known there are too many variables to single out single changes in our systems to be responsible for a change in animal health. i never said iodine is needed nor was i intending on swaying anyone to begin dosing it :lol: i just pointed out the fact that dark blues and purples appear to be enhanced when dosing in my system.

the same correlation/causation argument could be said for low alk causing STN at the base, however after observation from many reefers this is now widely held as true. i'm not the first person to notice an enhanced effect on blues/purples when dosing iodine ;)

it's time we start having an open mind into new methods in our hobby. it's easy to doubt, having never tried it.

aurora
02/19/2008, 10:09 PM
WHY DO YOU THINK YOU DOSE IDODINE/IODIDE? IF EVERYONE JUMPED OFF A BRIDGE WOULD YOU DO IT TOO?

If everyone jumped off a bridge and enough people came back to tell me that it's a great experience, I'll probably consider it.

Some of the nicest tanks I've seen are dosed with iodine. In some cases that is the only supplement being dosed. There may be other things that these reefer do that contribute to the health of their tanks, but I for one dose iodine periodically. If you are happy with your tank, by all means don't do anything else. However, if your coral appear less brighter/less vibrant then your buddies, it doesn't hurt to try iodine. As in all cases, the beauty of the tank speaks for itself.

BTW, I came across this info on the net...

In the United States of America, Lugol's solution was previously unregulated and available over the counter as a general reagent, an antiseptic, a preservative,[5] or as a medicament for human or veterinary application. However, effective August 1, 2007, the DEA now regulates Lugol's solution (and, in fact, all iodine solutions containing greater than 2.2% iodine) as a List I precursor because it may potentially be used in the illicit production of methamphetamine.[6] By contrast, Lugol's iodine solution is available over the counter in Canada and Mexico.

SunnyX
02/20/2008, 01:08 AM
I have been dosing it for 3 years now in my tank. I really dont want stop dosing it. I mean, I dont know and dont care what its doing to my tank as long as it keeps on looking great. My tank is very healthy and colorful and I say "if it aint broke dont fix it". :p

mixed_reefer
02/20/2008, 02:19 AM
Your tank is extremely nice Sunny, i was checking your red house when you first posted that you used it. I have used it from time to time very lightly and never really noticed any effect. I added 4 drops today of a 50/50 mix of lugols and 2% potassium iodide, and i plan to add a few drops every week for a while. I have about 90 gallons of water and a chaeto and mangrove fuge. I will post back here in a month or two with any observations.

sailfintang
02/20/2008, 07:01 AM
I agree that adding the suplement is okay but probably not needed as often as you think. Regular water changes will replace the element as well as a high quality saltmix. I myself personnally believe the Lugols solution to me more beneficial to soft corals especially Xenia. I have seen a huge increase in the pousing and coloration when I periodically add Lugols. Again though what works for some does not work for others. So find your method and stick with it. As long as the livestock flourishes be happy.

madreef_7K
02/20/2008, 07:37 AM
Thanks for chiming in sunny!

Actually, it was your tank of the month thread I read which prompted me to look into it. I somehow missed it in my list of TOTM. Anyway, great tank you have there!