PDA

View Full Version : Isopods eating my eagle eyes?

briangg57
02/19/2008, 07:20 AM
2 weeks ago I had 50 heads, I'm down to 10. Last night I turned on light only to see at least 8 bugs on my NOW very tiny 10 zoos. When the light went on most ran but one stayed and appeared to be feeding. This morning the head is ready to fall off. Has anyone got a picture of zoo eating bugs. Is there anything I can do to save the rest. Some of these bugs are a quarter inch.

capture
02/19/2008, 08:53 AM
I suffered with the same thing, but not 100% sure that the pods were the culprit. I'm not sure what to do, mine were initially in the sand and I tried putting them in a higher flow area but i think they were too far gone. I eventually lost them.

There is a thread in here on that topic but I'm not sure if anyone has answers other than adding pod-eating fish.

Good luck let us know what you do and how it goes.

capture
02/19/2008, 08:56 AM
here you go...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1258557

briangg57
02/19/2008, 01:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11885473#post11885473 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by capture
I suffered with the same thing, but not 100% sure that the pods were the culprit. I'm not sure what to do, mine were initially in the sand and I tried putting them in a higher flow area but i think they were too far gone. I eventually lost them.

There is a thread in here on that topic but I'm not sure if anyone has answers other than adding pod-eating fish.

Good luck let us know what you do and how it goes. Thanks, I think tonight I'm going to move them.

briangg57
02/20/2008, 12:32 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11884993#post11884993 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by briangg57
2 weeks ago I had 50 heads, I'm down to 10. Last night I turned on light only to see at least 8 bugs on my NOW very tiny 10 zoos. When the light went on most ran but one stayed and appeared to be feeding. This morning the head is ready to fall off. Has anyone got a picture of zoo eating bugs. Is there anything I can do to save the rest. Some of these bugs are a quarter inch. well It's 1:00 am and I just rigged it so I can pull my last tiny 5 remaining eagle eyes out quickly, well I got 5 of the critters . They are without any doubt what so ever, Anthipods, they ranged in size from 1/16th to 3/8 inches. I have a pic I will try to post tomorrow. But as I looked it up on line and found real good pic, Icompared to the one on my finger. Anthipods desimated my eagle eyes. Is this normal. I just came across other posts that said it happened to them to.

capture
02/20/2008, 07:47 AM
Sorry my friend. I hope that you save something from that colony. A few questions, are any other colonies suffering from the same? Is that your only zoa colony?
Do you have a fuge tied into your system? What about any fish to tame the population of the pods?
Sorry for all the questions, just trying to figure out what else it could be and if you have anything that could be combatting the problem.

This is my theory about pods consuming zoas. I think that when zoas are vulnerable, whether it be from not liking their surroundings and/or having a fungus or the like, that is when I think the pods take over. I'm not completely convinced yet that pods eat the zoas just to eat them. I believe that they (pods) compound the problems already in the tank by smothering the zoa and not letting them recover properly. So a part of the problem, yes - all of the problem, maybe, maybe not.

Good Luck. Keep us up to date.