PDA

View Full Version : can you keep two blennies together

dadonoflaw
02/19/2008, 03:08 PM
i have a canary blenny but if they wont fight i would also like a midas blenny. it would be in a 180

techigirl78
02/19/2008, 03:09 PM
Personally, I wouldn't try. I would think that they are too close in size and color even in a 180.

eskymick
02/19/2008, 03:14 PM
I have a Bi-color and a Midas together. They pay no attention to one another.

dadonoflaw
02/19/2008, 03:39 PM
interesting. anybody else with experience.

lastdrummist
02/19/2008, 07:50 PM
I had a Midas in my tank, then added a Canary. The midas constantly went after the canary, to the point of harassing the canary to death. I had them in a 90g, with a lot of rockwork, and the midas still went after the canary every time he saw him.

dadonoflaw
02/19/2008, 08:15 PM
yea thats what i would expect. none of the fish like to live with their own species.

techigirl78
02/20/2008, 07:10 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11890773#post11890773 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dadonoflaw
yea thats what i would expect. none of the fish like to live with their own species.

Not sure if that is the case. I do have blennies together, but they are of different genus and different in appearance. I think in the case of a canary and midas, they are just too similar in appearance.

Setec
02/20/2008, 10:56 AM
I have a bi-color blenny and had a lawnmower blenny, had being the operative word as the bi-color killed it. This was in a 180 with over 400 lbs of rock to hide.

Snowboarda42
02/20/2008, 11:45 PM
two blennies almost never work in the same tank unless its ~500G or bigger

Dangerwill
03/02/2013, 10:54 PM
What about a starry and a lawnmower together in a 90 with about 120 lbs of rocks

johnike
03/03/2013, 06:50 AM
What about a starry and a lawnmower together in a 90 with about 120 lbs of rocks

I wouldn't, too similar.
I have a Tailspot, Starry, and a Midas together with no trouble.

MellowReefer
03/03/2013, 02:23 PM
I wouldn't, too similar.
I have a Tailspot, Starry, and a Midas together with no trouble.,

I have a Midas and really want to get a Starry. But I read a few posts saying theirs killed each other. But some, like you, say they are fine. But I have a 125, only half of your size. Not sure if I should risk it.

johnike
03/03/2013, 02:29 PM

I have a Midas and really want to get a Starry. But I read a few posts saying theirs killed each other. But some, like you, say they are fine. But I have a 125, only half of your size. Not sure if I should risk it.

Seeing the Midas is already established and as long as the new Starry isn't a giant(like mine), I would try it.
If your Midas is anything like mine, it already has plenty of hiding places in the tank.

CedzAquAddictio
03/03/2013, 03:07 PM
Just gotta keep in mind that were are talking about animals here. Normally animals with the same diet will be in competition for food, and therefore try to kill the other off to ensure it's own survival.

There are, of course some exceptions to this and sometimes fish that aren't supposed to get along, will get along as we have altered the fish's natural habitat and raised them differently that they would be raised in the wild.
Not to mention, fish can't completely hide in our tanks like they can in the ocean. They can literally run away in the ocean and never see the same fish again if they run far enough. They can't do that in our tanks.

That being said, these fish still have some natural instincts, so the general rule of thumb not to keep similar species fish with the same body shape and coloration together should be followed for the sake of the fish.

Schooling and/or Shoaling fish are different, but, its a challenge for fish to truly school and/or shoal in our tanks like they do in the ocean.

Best of Luck!!!

MellowReefer
03/04/2013, 12:17 AM
Seeing the Midas is already established and as long as the new Starry isn't a giant(like mine), I would try it.
If your Midas is anything like mine, it already has plenty of hiding places in the tank.

Thanks. I thought I read someone who had an established Midas, and when they added the Starry, the Midas harassed it to death. But it sounds like you are more concerned the Starry will be aggressive towards the Midas?

Beefy_Reefy
03/04/2013, 01:24 AM
Starry would kick Midas butt. Probably fine in a 125 though.