PDA

View Full Version : Rock Anemone

andygb54303
02/19/2008, 05:53 PM
I would like to introduce one into my tank. My question is, is it bad to have different types of anemones in the same tank. I currently have 2 GBTAs. I dont think the rock anemones host fish, however i heard that there is a crab or shrimp that does host these. Can anyone with experience with these give me their opinion?

45commando
02/19/2008, 06:24 PM
I have a couple of rock nems,that are in my tank with BTA's & Haddoni carpets.I keep the rock nems away from everything,as they do pack quite a sting against corals & other anemones.They have never moved from where I placed them,so that is a plus.I've had one for about 10 years the other about 3.Here is a pic of the 3 year one.It has pretty cool coloration.The disc is a deep green & contrasts with the orange tentacles.HTHhttp://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m224/45commando/DSCN0596.jpg

andygb54303
02/19/2008, 10:10 PM
thanks, are they hard to care for? i assume you must spot feed them like BTAs?

DBPReefer
02/19/2008, 10:33 PM
Nice rock commando. I have had one for over two years now and it has moved only twice which is not a lot considering BTA. Everything stays away from it but it adds quite a bit of diversity to the tank. I have no experience with them hosting any organisms but have seen pictures of them hosting sexy anemone shrimp. Maybe, others who have more experience with these nems could give some insight.

DBPReefer
02/19/2008, 10:36 PM
I normally don't feed mine directly like my FBTA. It gets most of its nutrients from the photosynthetic algae within. It is one of the hardiest things I have ever put in my tank!!!

45commando
02/20/2008, 05:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11892046#post11892046 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by andygb54303
thanks, are they hard to care for? i assume you must spot feed them like BTAs?
Very easy to care for.They are from mainly shallow water & so prefer good light,but are very adaptable.I hardly ever spot feed them,but if I add say cyclopeeze to the tank,you can see the anemone actively catching & feeding-so spot feeding will not hurt.HTH.