PDA

View Full Version : couple pics for your entertainment

57vert
02/19/2008, 06:00 PM
full tank shot. species specific seahorse tank.
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/57vert/reefpicsfeb026.jpg

My reidi
http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/57vert/reefpicsfeb020.jpg

a favorite hitching post

http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc228/57vert/reefpicsfeb022.jpg

krazeekiddie
02/19/2008, 07:10 PM
Beautiful!!! What are you feeding your gorgonians?? (just curiosity)

That is the pic you sent me earlier right?

57vert
02/19/2008, 08:34 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11890193#post11890193 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by krazeekiddie
Beautiful!!! What are you feeding your gorgonians?? (just curiosity)

That is the pic you sent me earlier right?

I just got the gorgonians and know they can be difficult to keep. I really don't know what to feed them. I have been spot feeding them with a cocktail of cyclopeeze, rotifers and phyto plankton that I mix up. If anyone has more info on keeping them healthy, I'd really like to know.

Same pic I PM'd you.

bump321
02/20/2008, 04:00 AM
Keeping them in the current will help allot. I feed mysis soup juice also.

krazeekiddie
02/20/2008, 08:01 AM
Have you tried DT's oyster eggs??

I asked because I gave up on my gorg's! Gave them away because I could see them not doing so well....I have DT's if you wanted to try it before you buy it.....I could part with some! (It is expensive!)

ReidiLoverLinds
02/20/2008, 03:00 PM
you know seahorses have a natural attraction to colt corals?

Big load
02/22/2008, 09:54 PM
You should add some pipefish to that tank and some mandarin fish

pledosophy
02/22/2008, 11:00 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11917765#post11917765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big load

Sometimes mixing species of syngnathids even seahorses and pipefish can create problems as seahorses are generally asymptomatic carriers of various strains of vibrio, that if the other syngnathid has no previous exposure to, can create bacterial disease problems.

I myself researched the topic quite extensively and decided for myself not to mix different species, but anyone who is considering it should do there own research. I can give you some good pointers from what I have learned, but it's not a decision one should make without being aware IMO.

The tank looks quite nice. I believe the purple gorg is photosynthetic and just needs flow and lots of light. The red and yellow do need to be fed. There are a variety of foods I have had work for me. Dt's Oyster Eggs has been mentioned and is good IME. I turn the pumps off and target feed with a turkey baster, let it sit for a few minutes and then turn the pumps back on. I picked up one of those American DJ Powerstrips which made it pretty easy to turn off the pump, it's just the flick of a switch.

Looks like your having an algae outbreak. Been there done that. Never any fun. It looks to me it may be a species of bryopsis, have you tried teh magnesium thing with Kent M? Works for a good number of people. Just trying to be helpful, I know how much time I have spent cursing the algae when I was having problems in my systems.

HTH

mrme
02/23/2008, 02:38 AM
Does that koralia bother your seahorses ?!
I want to put a couple in a seahorse tank that i MAY setup, but these seem far to powerful, and maybe dangerous for seahorses, maybe i'm wrong ?

I know the nanos are pieces of junk and don't push much flow, but that looks like at least a 1, if not 2.

57vert
02/24/2008, 07:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11919181#post11919181 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mrme
Does that koralia bother your seahorses ?!
I want to put a couple in a seahorse tank that i MAY setup, but these seem far to powerful, and maybe dangerous for seahorses, maybe i'm wrong ?

I know the nanos are pieces of junk and don't push much flow, but that looks like at least a 1, if not 2.

I just added the koralia. I believe it is a 1. The only flow I had was from the return pump in the sump. I was noticing that cyano was on the sand, and growing on some of the macro algae. Also, I figured the gorgonians needed more flow to prevent algae/cyano growth on them. Got the smallest koralia I could.

But, the koralia doesn't really seem to bother them. They seem to be swimming around as normal.

Some bigger models could be a problem I think.

57vert
02/24/2008, 07:42 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=11917765#post11917765 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Big load

I am keeping it species specific for the reasons pledosopy mentioned. Whether it's a concern or not, I'm not really sure. But the horses are my main interest for this tank, so keeping it for them.

I've got a mandarin in my 75 gal, reef tank. So, got the mandarin covered.

57vert
02/24/2008, 07:48 PM
pledosophy

I am having a bit of an alge/cyano problem. The tank has been set up several months, and still some cycling. I prefer to let time and the natural environment in my tank take care of itself. I'm just scared of unintended consequences of dumping chems in my tank. Have to admit I have not even looked into the mag treatment. If things don't settle down over the next few weeks I'll look into it.