PDA

View Full Version : faded color on clam

Apon
02/19/2008, 07:41 PM
So I have had a 7 inch squamosa clam for over 6 months that was given to me by a relative taking down his tank. It was just a brown one with some interesting stripes on it, but pretty common patten. Just in the last 2 weeks it scolor has faded to a duller brown and the stripes are less pronounced, My other clams are ok - including a smaller squamosa. I have about 900 watts on MH on a 120 - 4x2x2 tank, but I think its time to change the bulbs. Anyways is color loss an indication of anything is particular? Its also not expanding as much as it used to, but the gills still loook good and it responds pretty well. I am just concerned if its keep going down hill. I know from expierence that clam have die really fast, but this one is slowly changing/declining. The only thing I know has changed is I replaced my C02 tank with a refill and I replace the small bag of carbon in the sump ( both of which I have dome so in the past without any change in the clam) Any thoughts?

johnnybravo234
02/19/2008, 11:21 PM
Make sure that none of your fish are beating on it.. that seems to be a common trend with squamosas.. also give him a good once over in case there are pyramid snails attacking it. As always make sure cal, alk, and mg are in check.

a4twenty
02/20/2008, 07:00 AM
sound like a lighting issue.....

how old are the bulbs?
what kelvin?
what wattage?
how deep is the tank and where are the clams?

Apon
02/20/2008, 03:34 PM
The bulbs are one year old, and I have ordered new ones. My stupid purple tang has started nipping it now, not before. No snails. Here is apicture and tank info from before. Other clams are ok, just teh big squamosa on the left it not looking good. This morning I can see it receeded about 1 cm form the shell.

My Tank info -
Actually its my mixed reef with lots of clams -12 of them. Some of my clams will out grow this one so I am thinking about what to do with them too later, but here is some info and pics. enjoy.

Tank-
4x2x2 120g tenecor tank.- dual overflow -small sump with a- iwaki return pump returns 3 pipes into the tank.

1 vortec pump for additional flow.

Lighting-
36" aquamedic dual 250 20k HQI with dual 39watt T5 little and
36" sunpod Dual 150 20k HQI lighting ( I think the side tank pics is one with only 1 light on)
3 coralife 1 watt moonlights that i leave on all day long.

Filtration-
No Skimmer (for past 9 months)- No filter sock - filtration is maintained by 5 gallon water changes once a week, 1 small bag of carbon, and 12 clams ( 2 gigas, 2 squamies, 2 hippos, 1 crocea, 5 deresas of different sizes.....lost my 2 maxima's )
Lots of live rock and a shallow sand bed.

Additional-
I dose lime water twice a week ( 5 gallons drip in) and sometime some iodine
A small fan to maintain temp
a Calcium Reactor
No Heater, No refug. No Cheato, that's it ....pretty simple setup

Arnold's side shot and fts:

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1338/1416586446_c1bf35eab2_o.jpg
[/B]

[/quote]

a4twenty
02/20/2008, 04:58 PM
nice looking tank, from the end anyway :)

i would say it is definitely a lighting issue, 20K bulbs are weak to begin with and are recommended to be changed every 6 months. replacing these will help with the bleaching issue, the tang unfortunately is a different story.

Apon
02/21/2008, 01:39 PM
It could be lights, or alk too.

I check the alk again last night it was at 8 with no dripping that day. If it was the alk swings the I would expect all the clams should show some problems?

Anyways I think I solved it!

I did a small water change last night and at 1:30am I checked for snails again....nothing, but I did happen to see a small white crab in the gills of the clam. It wasn't there when the lights were on, or at least I didn't see it. Its about the same size as a acro crab and it was on the white gills perfectly hidden. I only saw it because it moved when I shined my flash light on it. I know that there are some shrimps that can live in clams, but crabs? What do you guys think? I was able to remove it, but only becuase the clam was worse and didn't close up...not a good sign.

a4twenty
02/22/2008, 06:32 AM
there are definitely commensal crabs as well as shrimp that can live inside our clams but without a pic it would be tough to say for sure.